SE6 - Hanging on web pages with flash animations

Old December 23rd 03, 08:40 PM
grumpy

Default SE6 - Hanging on web pages with flash animations

System:
se6
800mhz celeron
384 megs of crucial ram.
10 gig Maxtor
Zip CD-RW

This machine has begun to freeze up. The easiest way to reproduce the
freeze is to visit a website with a flash animation on it. I have
tried IE and Netscape. I was running XP and went back to Win98se and
it still froze. I have tried 3 different video cards. I have taken
everything out execept the hardrive (used onboard video). I have saved
a web page with a flash animation to my hard drive then remove the nic
and loaded up the page..and it still freezes. The memory consists of a
256 meg and a 128 meg stick. I have tried each individually in case
one was bad..still freezes. I have reset the bios several times. Use
slower timings on the memory. The only difference in behavior I have
seen is that where the pages used to freeze before the flash animation
even played, now they play for as much as 2 or 3 minutes and then
freeze. I think they change occurred upon resetting the bios. I
believe I have the most up to date bios albeit from 2002.

Additionally the machine seems to hang a lot while trying to install
Win XP. I have removed all cards and even disabled usb, sound, and
ports in the bios and am currently trying to install xp again.

It seems to be a hardware issue but I can't figure out which piece. If
a CPU has a problem can it manifest itself in such a specific way? (ie
Flash animations). I guess it could be he mobo also and that why I
have posted here. Just thought I would take a shot in the dark and see
if anyone had experienced something similar.

Also if anyone could give suggestions on diagnostic software to find a
hardware problem or stess the component so it fails completely that
would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading all that

TIA for any assistance.