Excessive CPU Usage

Old July 6th 04, 02:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Al Pal

Default Excessive CPU Usage

Howdy,
I have a stand alone box with my DVD burner in it
Gigabyte 7VRX M\B
Xp1800 CPU
Runs XP Pro
No network card or internet connection
I just use it for burning Dvd's
Problem is that the cpu usage with no programs running is quite often
running at 60 -79%
I've done a clean install of windows no change, I've tried shutting down
most back ground programs that are running.
Does any one have any ideas

Thanks in advance

Old July 6th 04, 05:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Ben Pope

Al Pal wrote:
Howdy,
I have a stand alone box with my DVD burner in it
Gigabyte 7VRX M\B
Xp1800 CPU
Runs XP Pro
No network card or internet connection
I just use it for burning Dvd's
Problem is that the cpu usage with no programs running is quite often
running at 60 -79%
I've done a clean install of windows no change, I've tried shutting down
most back ground programs that are running.
Does any one have any ideas

How is the CPU usage 60-80% with no programs running? SOMETHING must be
taking up the CPU time.

Fire up task manager, click on Processes and then click on CPU to order the
list by CPU usage. That should throw some light on it.

Ben