Getting one BIG C drive from multiple servers.

Old April 9th 06, 02:42 AM posted to comp.arch.storage

Default Getting one BIG C drive from multiple servers.

The subject line may be a bit stupid but I am looking to setup a system
where we have a requirment that we have a single view into a 32 TB storage
system (think of this as a one big C drive).

Right now we got 6 servers each with around 5 TB of storage, but to access
them we need to mount each server (Win 2003) and work on it which is
becoming cubersom.

Will iSCSI do the trick ? Product like SanMelody ?

Jay

Jay

Old April 9th 06, 07:39 AM posted to comp.arch.storage

Jay wrote:
The subject line may be a bit stupid but I am looking to setup a system
where we have a requirment that we have a single view into a 32 TB storage
system (think of this as a one big C drive).

Right now we got 6 servers each with around 5 TB of storage, but to access
them we need to mount each server (Win 2003) and work on it which is
becoming cubersom.

Will iSCSI do the trick ? Product like SanMelody ?

Possibly, but it's not clear they'd to it well. If SanMelody can be
installed onto your existing servers while still leaving them available
to perform their current tasks, it can export some of their storage
using iSCSI - or you could use iSCSI more directly. But either of those
would do is give one of your servers access to the combined storage
resources (which it could then combine into a local file system - e.g.,
by creating a RAID volume): it would then have to turn around and
export that file system back to the other servers again (say, as a
'share') - so most access to data would require two hops over the
network in each direction: a read request would go first from the
client to the main file server, which would (unless it held the
requested data in its cache) then request the data from the server whose
disk actually held it, at which point the data would be returned to the
main file server, which would then send it to the original client (most
writes would take a similarly circuitous path).

So you'd really prefer an arrangement which allowed clients to interact
more directly with the server which held the target data. Some
'cluster' file systems like SANergy (from IBM/Tivoli, which IIRC is
available on Win2K and thus likely on Win2K3) and CXFS (from SGI and
Linux, but not AFAIK available on Win2K/Win2K3) support this, though
metadata operations are still handled centrally.

- bill
Old April 14th 06, 10:18 PM posted to comp.arch.storage

In Bill Todd writes:

CXFS (from SGI and Linux, but not AFAIK available on Win2K/Win2K3)

I know this isn't exactly what was asked, but CXFS does run on
WinXP, so for anyone interested it might be worthwhile checking with
SGI to see if they also support Win2K. I've got a small cluster with
IRIX and XP clients. We're using it for video, and it Works well.

--
Tim Mullen
Am I in your basement? Looking for antique televisions, fans, etc.
Old April 17th 06, 08:22 AM posted to comp.arch.storage

CXFS runs on Linux, Windows 2K/XP/2003, Mac, Solars etc.

On Windows you are presented with multiple filesystems under a single
drive letter. What filesystems are mounted on the node are managed
centrally, once each Windows box is configured with CXFS no further
CXFS administration is needed on those boxes. When a Windows box is
rebooted it automatically remounts all the CXFS filesystems.

See http://www.sgi.com/cxfs

David

Hard Drive Temperature Nehmo General 36 October 27th 05 12:35 AM
Software to backup the operating system on drive C Brian Storage (alternative) 18 October 22nd 04 01:24 AM
Question about transfer speeds between HDs, and DMA mode ZigZag Master Storage (alternative) 25 July 25th 04 09:56 PM
Primary Hard Disk Drive 1 Not Found brandon General Hardware 5 July 18th 04 11:39 PM
Windows XP fails to boot after Drive Image 7 restore Milleniumaire Storage (alternative) 11 February 28th 04 09:26 PM