new motherboard...

Old September 6th 04, 12:25 AM
toedipper

Default new motherboard...

Hello,

Installing new motherboard and cpu in xp machine.

All other hardware is the same. Can I just hook up my current hard
drive that has xp installed and switch on?

Cheers,

td.
Old September 6th 04, 12:53 AM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

toedipper wrote:
Hello,

Installing new motherboard and cpu in xp machine.

All other hardware is the same. Can I just hook up my current hard
drive that has xp installed and switch on?

Cheers,

td.

Of course not! You cannot rip the guts out of a system and expect it to act
as though nothing has happened. You will need to perform a repair
installation at the very least (and this is assuming a self-built system
with a retail OEM, or a standard retail licence). If your system was
purchased with XP factory installed then, usually, the motherboard is
considered the machine and a change of motherboard will void the licence. In
this instance, your only choice would be to purchase a new licence.

I hope you backed up anything critical before installation because, in some
instances, a clean installation may be necessary.

I also have no idea why you're posting this here as there are plenty of
Windows XP groups available (microsoft.public.windowsxp. general would have
been a good place to start).

You will, obviously, need to reactivate.

lose his marbles?

Old September 6th 04, 01:11 AM
Grant

"toedipper" wrote in message
Hello,

Installing new motherboard and cpu in xp machine.

All other hardware is the same. Can I just hook up my current hard
drive that has xp installed and switch on?

Cheers,

td.

DO NOT TRY TO BOOT WINDOWS WITH A NEW MOTHERBOARD.

It will cause problems. Many of them. As soon as you get the computer running,
you should to a repair install, assuming you have a real copy of windows, not an
OEM version. This should install all the proper motherboard drivers for the new
board, and remove the old one. No guarantees though, and you might end up
having to reformat the drive and do a clean install.

Old September 6th 04, 10:55 AM
Azaran2003

And then there are those that have swapped out a motherboard and cpu and done
nothing to windows and have it work just fine. XP is very forgiving comparied
to win9x OS's.
However that being said, you should do a repair, and if you can, hell do a
clean install, you'll know for sure then. But before you do anything make sure
all important data is backed up and either stored on a seperate drive or burned
to cds/dvds.
Go online and look up the procedure to do a repair in XP.

Good luck
~A
Old September 7th 04, 12:03 AM
DaveW

No. When you change the motherboard in an XP based computer you must
reformat the harddrive and then do a fresh install of the OS. This will
prevent ongoing nasty Registry errors.

--
DaveW

Old September 7th 04, 09:28 AM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

DaveW wrote:
No. When you change the motherboard in an XP based computer you must
reformat the harddrive and then do a fresh install of the OS. This
will prevent ongoing nasty Registry errors.

Formatting is (usually) quite unnecessary. A repair installation will work
fine. Obviously there might be some rare occasions when a format is
required, but not as a general rule.

lose his marbles?

Old September 7th 04, 01:05 PM
Noozer

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote in message
.. .
DaveW wrote:
No. When you change the motherboard in an XP based computer you must
reformat the harddrive and then do a fresh install of the OS. This
will prevent ongoing nasty Registry errors.

Formatting is (usually) quite unnecessary. A repair installation will work
fine. Obviously there might be some rare occasions when a format is
required, but not as a general rule.

And many folks disagree... it's close to 50% of the time it doesn't work.

Personally, I've never seen a PC working 100% normally after a mainboard
swap until is was formatted/reloaded. They may work, but there are always
quirks and sometimes they don't show up for weeks, but they eventually do.

Bottom line is that you can't PLAN to do this without issues and you should
backup your information anyhow.