how to see current hdd transfer mode (33/66/100/133) ?

Old December 17th 03, 03:23 PM
dsads

Default how to see current hdd transfer mode (33/66/100/133) ?

Hi,

i know there are programs that measure the hdd speed but is there a
program that detects current mode of hdd ie. 33/66/100/133 mhz?

Checked hdd info with sandra & cant find it there?!

Thanks
Old December 17th 03, 06:45 PM
kony

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 15:23:17 +0000, dsads wrote:

Hi,

i know there are programs that measure the hdd speed but is there a
program that detects current mode of hdd ie. 33/66/100/133 mhz?

Checked hdd info with sandra & cant find it there?!

Thanks

The manufacturer's diagnostics (floppy) may tell you, but often the
BIOS shows this too, on the info screen right before the OS boots.

Dave
Old December 18th 03, 06:44 AM
dsads

The bios might show one thing and the truth my be another thing. In
the hole world there is no reliable program from win to show those
parameters live in action?

my drive is a maxtor 80 gb.

thanks

Old December 18th 03, 08:22 AM
stacey

dsads wrote:

The bios might show one thing and the truth my be another thing. In
the hole world there is no reliable program from win to show those
parameters live in action?

my drive is a maxtor 80 gb.

All that matters is HD performance. If you see 40+Mbs, don't sweat it!

--

Stacey
Old December 18th 03, 03:38 PM
dsads

only getting 22000 kB/s. which ultra dma mode set my 133 mhz drive?
and which pmo mode? thanks

Old December 18th 03, 05:17 PM
kony

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 15:38:14 +0000, dsads wrote:

only getting 22000 kB/s. which ultra dma mode set my 133 mhz drive?
and which pmo mode? thanks

There are two things, maybe 3, you need do:

1) Make sure you're using 80-conductor ATA66/100/133 IDE cable
(assuming of course, that it's not an SATA drive).

2) Set BIOS to AUTO. Do not set modes, you should not be specifying
any of this.

3) Check the operating system, for DMA usage. In windows that's in
device manager.

You also haven't mentioned exactly how/when you see those 22000 KB/s
rates. Little details may seem irrelevant but provide a clue what's
going on.

Dave
Old December 18th 03, 07:41 PM
dsads

see transfer rates with sandras file transfer benchmark.

You mean to imply that the gray ide cables differ in transfer capacity
they can handle? I thought that any ide cable is universal and can be
used for 33/66/100/130 mhz modes!

went in to bios & set hdd on manual & changed to ultra dma 6. Guess
what? transfer rates jumped to 27000kB/s. still not the full works but
getting there.

looked on maxtors www & did not find any utility for this hdd model!

Old December 18th 03, 08:04 PM
kony

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 19:41:23 +0000, dsads wrote:

see transfer rates with sandras file transfer benchmark.

You mean to imply that the gray ide cables differ in transfer capacity
they can handle? I thought that any ide cable is universal and can be
used for 33/66/100/130 mhz modes!

Definitely not, old 40-conductor cables are only able to do (up to)
ATA33. However, using an old ATA33 cable, you should still get closer
to 33MB/s than your 22MB/s reported... "usually" a new drive running
on ATA33 mode maxes it out at 26-31MB/s, across most of the drive then
maybe dropping down into the mid-twenties at the end, but if i had to
peg an average for such a scenario, it'd be 28MB/s.

went in to bios & set hdd on manual & changed to ultra dma 6. Guess
what? transfer rates jumped to 27000kB/s. still not the full works but
getting there.

You should not need, nor should you, change the BIOS settings. Any
semi-modern system can detect it's fastest ATA mode supported, just
fine. If for some reason the drive won't drop down to that mode, you
need read the documentation and see if the drive manufacturer provided
a utility to change ATA mode (which they certainly will if the drive
can't always drop-down). However, all the Maxtors I've owned/own do
drop down fine, though I admit the odds are against my having tried
'em on your particular motherboard, which is ????

looked on maxtors www & did not find any utility for this hdd model!

You don't find utilities for specific models, just download the
Mxblast floppy-creater, but if that's a retail drive it should've came
in the package on floppy or (equivalent to the website download) on a
CD.

Dave

DMA / PIO Mode problem - General 4 December 11th 03 12:02 AM
AGP bus (PCI mode) - General 1 November 30th 03 01:11 AM
video card replaced, machine will only boot to safe mode hiphop General 2 November 5th 03 08:06 AM
Power Surge David LeBrun General 44 September 12th 03 02:35 AM
Troubles with hd transfer mode Luca Carlon General 6 August 5th 03 06:28 AM