Random 2 tone beeps - second try

Old October 24th 03, 02:20 PM
Stephane Hebert

Default Random 2 tone beeps - second try

Hi folks,

This is my second attempt at asking this. No responses of yet. Puzzling
stuff.

Here's the original post:

**********************************
We have a PC that starts emmitting 2 tone beeps and sometime single tone
beeps _AFTER_ post and during normal Windoze operation.

After searching the Google archives, it seems that this could be caused by
the mobo notifying temperature problems or a wacky keyboard.

I can positively attest that none of these symptoms are occuring on this
machine. I unplugged the keyboard. Still beeps. The BIOS reports CPU temp
at 37 deg. C. and fans are normal. It's relatively cool in there. Just to
make sure, I removed the cover from the pc, shut it down for an hour and
booted up again. As soon as post was done, the beeps started again.

The beeps occur very randomly.

In the end, I simply disconnected the speaker. Not the best action to take,
but the person who uses this PC needs to have a very quiet room since it's a
very specialized Q&A dept. and the operator is going insane with all those
beeps g.

This PC is running Windoze 98 SE and I haven't collected any hardware specs
as of now.

**********************************

Since then, the PC started rebooting by itself numerous times a day. So I
changed the 250W power supply for a brand new 300W one.
Still beeps and waiting to see if it will reboot itslef. Again, the temp is
ok. Weird huh ?

Thanks

Steph

Old October 24th 03, 04:30 PM
kony

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 09:20:19 -0400, "Stephane Hebert"
wrote:

[...]

It might help if you provided a link to the motherboard manufacturer's
product page.

Dave

Old October 24th 03, 09:21 PM
Stephane Hebert

Dave,

The mobo is a Microstar 6163

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/produc...il.php?UID=114

After replacing the PS, the machine started rebooting by itself again, so
that wasn't it. I also replaced ram, but still beeps and still reboots.
Note that it will only reboot if I put a good memory load on it, like
opening many apps or just one big mem intensive app.
I tried Defrag just as a test, but it didn't reboot using that so the HD
probably isn't causing this.

I'm at a loss.

Steph

Old October 24th 03, 09:40 PM
Stephane Hebert

Ooops ! Wrong mobo.

Here's the right one:

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/produc...ail.php?UID=92

Steph

Old October 24th 03, 10:28 PM
Shep©

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 16:21:36 -0400, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Stephane Hebert"
wrote :

Dave,

The mobo is a Microstar 6163

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/produc...il.php?UID=114

After replacing the PS, the machine started rebooting by itself again, so
that wasn't it. I also replaced ram, but still beeps and still reboots.
Note that it will only reboot if I put a good memory load on it, like
opening many apps or just one big mem intensive app.
I tried Defrag just as a test, but it didn't reboot using that so the HD
probably isn't causing this.

I'm at a loss.

Steph

Disable the APM in the BIOS and also try here,

http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.php

HTH

.. .

Old October 24th 03, 11:06 PM
Phrederick

We have a PC that starts emmitting 2 tone beeps and sometime single tone
beeps _AFTER_ post and during normal Windoze operation.

After searching the Google archives, it seems that this could be caused by
the mobo notifying temperature problems or a wacky keyboard.

Since then, the PC started rebooting by itself numerous times a day. So I
changed the 250W power supply for a brand new 300W one.
Still beeps and waiting to see if it will reboot itslef. Again, the temp

is
ok. Weird huh ?

*HOW* do you know the temp is OK?

Sounds like a failing mainboard if temps are good... Not sure WHY it would
be beeping though.

Old October 25th 03, 06:24 AM
kony

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 16:40:43 -0400, "Stephane Hebert"
wrote:

Ooops ! Wrong mobo.

Here's the right one:

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/produc...ail.php?UID=92

Steph

Assuming that this system was previously working properly, no changes
right before this beeping, including that the system hasn't been
moved, I would GUESS that the capacitors behind the slot are going
out. I see that happening a lot with them running hot and too little
airflow. The only realistic solution is replacing the motherboard,
unless you're practiced in replacing capcacitors, as it isn't
cost-effective to have a shop do it.

Dave
Old October 27th 03, 02:03 PM
Stephane Hebert

I know that the temp is ok cause I don't cry out in pain when I stick my
tongue between the CPU and the heatsink

Actually, I used a probe and temp was 37C. Still the beeps are a total
mystery to me. We're replacing the mobo this morning.

Thanks

Steph

newsnhmb.168403$6C4.68269@pd7tw1no...

Old October 27th 03, 06:36 PM
Stephane Hebert

Turns out the mobo was the problem. I can't find any docs on what those
beeps are. Very bizarre.

Thanks to all who tried.

Beeps Jimmaestro General 3 October 22nd 03 03:57 PM
Random 2 tone beeps Stephane Hebert General 0 October 20th 03 03:37 PM
random restarts from cold boot jf General 2 October 10th 03 06:01 AM
Random hangs on KT133 and KT333 with raid kony General 5 September 15th 03 09:46 AM
help random crashes ben reed General 3 July 17th 03 12:13 PM