Processor Upgrade

Old January 8th 04, 06:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Wes Newell

Default Processor Upgrade

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 09:55:29 -0500, J.Clarke wrote:

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 08:21:24 GMT
Wes Newell wrote:

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 01:26:28 -0500, J.Clarke wrote:

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 19:39:13 -0800
Bill wrote:

Do you have some examples of a socket A board that won't
work with any socket A processor?

Try putting a Barton or Thorton in a Soyo K7V Dragon Plus.

Was Skids answer to this recently not to your liking? I didn't bother
to reply. And don't intend to.

I have no idea who "Skid" is or where he answered. But your "I didn't
bother to reply and I don't intend to" shows the problem with your
attitude.

I didn't reply, because he already had. His link seemed to meet your needs
already.

--------------------
"J.Clarke" wrote in message
d...

OK, Wes, since you claim that a Barton will run on any chipset, how
do I get a Barton to run on a Soyo K7V Dragon Plus?

I'm not Wes,

Then why are you using his account?

He wasn't. I copied this from his previous reply a couple of days ago.:-)

but if you'll search the Soyo forum at http://forums.amdmb.com/
you'll see that a number of people are successfully running Bartons on
that board. Apparently the 3000+ is the best bet to run at or near its
rated speed. Some of them are using modified bios files and cap mods to
increase the odds of success. Can't vouch for any of it personally, but
I found lots of folks who say it can be done.

Goody.

I don't know why you didn't see it before.

Old January 8th 04, 06:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Wes Newell

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 09:49:52 -0500, J.Clarke wrote:

Thanks for that information--I knew if I ****ed enough people off
somebody would come up with an answer if there was one. Now, let's see
what kind of capacitors I've got in the junk box . . .

You ever hear the old saying about honey catching flys better than
something else? I honestly didn't think you were serious about needing
help with this. I assumed you already knew about the mod since it was
discussed here some time back. And I also know you're quite capable of
doing it. Good luck.

Old January 8th 04, 08:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Wes Newell

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 10:57:55 +0000, CW wrote:

Guys, calm down I am amazed at all the fuss I have caused over my intentions
to upgrade my motherboard, the model is by the way the Jetway 8363-686A with
the VIA KT/133/A chipset and the Athlon M4(Thunderbird) 650-1.4G CPU.
I was assured that I could not upgrade further than a 1.4 gig processor.
Obviously you people know more than I do so further advice is welcome.
CWebb

That model number isn't listed on the Jetway site. They also have their
manuals in a proprietary .doc format. So I'll make some assumtions.
I assume it's a KT133A chipset and not the KT133 (non A).
I'll also assume that you have memory capable of running 133MHz (PC133 or
faster).
Also that you have at least a 300w PS minimum.
make sure the cpu you buy is not one of the newer locked versions (post
week 0338) unless you would be happy with a 2400+ from 2000-2175MHz.

Any cpu should boot as long as your board/bios doesn't support multiplier
changing. It will boot with the default multiplier x FSB speeds. That
means that any that have a FSB of 133Mhz should boot to default speeds. If
the cpu's default FSB is 166 or 200, it will only run at a slower speed
until you manually change the multiplier. This is why you don't want one
of the newer internally locked cpu's with a 166/200MHz FSB.

Any Palomino core should run without mods since it's multiplier locked and
only uses a 133MHz FSB. You can unlock any of these unless your board
supports bios controlled multiplier changes. If this is the case, then you
can't unlock the 2100+ Palomino core cpu. It won't work since it will try
and default to 2000MHz (20x100) and it won't run at that speed.

The same applies to Tbred A cores as Palominos, except they are all
unlocked from the factory AFAIK. This means that you'd have to mod either
the MB or cpu before you could get anything over a 2000+ to work.

Any Tbred B core should boot out of the box. From 1700-2000+ they should
boot to there default speed. 2100-2600+/266 should boot at 2000MHz
(20x100) out of the box.

Unlocked Bartons 2500-2800+ & 3200+ should boot at slower speeds, and you
have to mod them to get top speed.

Unlocked 3000+/333 should boot at 2000MHz (20x100) since it has a default
multiplier of 13 (8x bit high).

And now for my picks. Easiest would be a 2100-2400+ unlocked Tbred B
core. These will all default to the same speed (2000Mhz) without mods to
anything or they will default to default speeds depending on multiplier
control of your MB.

For a barton, I'd chose the 2500+ (pre week 39). change the default
multplier to 13 (making it a 3000+).

Now, if you haven't read my site, do so. if you have any other questions,
ask. Be specific.