Interfacing the printer port

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 5th 10, 01:20 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David[_24_]

Default Interfacing the printer port

Thank you. I have sent them an email describing my scenario and asking if
their device will be suitable for my uses.

I had spent ages looking for something like this. I had found one, but it
only seems to be available in USA and Australia. I had found another device
that appears to do what I need, however, it is very expensive.

I went to buy the extra components from Maplin yesterday, they are really
dropping their electronic component lines and appear to be concentrating on
the consumer electronics. No more components for the hobbyist now. I used
to use a 74LS373 many years ago. They only have 74HC373, while stocks last
and none in the stores.

A bit bad really.
--
Best regards,
Dave Colliver.

.. .
On 2010-12-03, David wrote:

That's the kind of thing you're probably going to need. I'd go
further than that: you're probably going to need the BUSY line
asserted in hardware until you de-assert it in software since you'll
never achieve the latency you need otherwise.

A year or two ago I built a serial to parallel converter that with
a couple of wiring changes to the printer port and new software
could be adapted to work in reverse - I'll send you my schematics
and code if you want. However, some commerically available converters
do that as standard, e.g.
http://www.bb-europe.com/product.asp?SKU=232SPS2
For £80 I wouldn't think it worth assembling a unit and writing
new code.

--
Andrew Smallshaw