Cordless or Bluetooth?

Old August 7th 06, 05:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
Bobby

Default Cordless or Bluetooth?

I am about to buy a keyboard and mouse for my Windows Media Center PC in the
living room and I was wondering whether I should buy a cordless keyboard and
mouse or a Bluetooth one.

What is the range for a cordless device? I know that the Bluetooth devices
can reach 10 metres (about 11 yards) so that range is fine - but is cordless
OK or will I have to place them near the transmitter/receiver?

Cheers.

Bobby

Old August 7th 06, 06:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
kony

On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 17:56:10 +0100, "Bobby"
wrote:

I am about to buy a keyboard and mouse for my Windows Media Center PC in the
living room and I was wondering whether I should buy a cordless keyboard and
mouse or a Bluetooth one.

What is the range for a cordless device? I know that the Bluetooth devices
can reach 10 metres (about 11 yards) so that range is fine

Do not confuse "can" and "does".

A particular bluetooth keyboard "might" have that range, but
you're not guaranteed it in most cases.

- but is cordless
OK or will I have to place them near the transmitter/receiver?

Depends on the particular keyboard. Considering modern
stuff of good quality using 2.4GHz, you should expect
similar range with wireless and it'll cost less. Again it
is not guaranteed, and other 2.4GHz devices might interfere
(or vice-versa, suffer slightly when you're using the
keyboard). Since the cordless is usually cheaper than
bluetooth (all else being equal) it would seem the most
sensible to try a cordless version first, unless you already
had need for bluetooth and having one fewer USB ports taken
up was advantageous.
Old August 7th 06, 07:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
Rod Speed

Bobby wrote:

I am about to buy a keyboard and mouse for my Windows Media Center PC in the living room
and I was wondering whether I should buy a cordless keyboard and mouse or a Bluetooth
one.

What is the range for a cordless device?

Varys with the particular design. Rather poor with some, not even a full meter.

I know that the Bluetooth devices can reach 10 metres (about 11 yards) so that range is
fine - but is cordless OK or will I have to place them near the transmitter/receiver?

Yes, some are poorly designed. The Logitech and MS are fine tho.

Old August 7th 06, 11:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
[email protected]

I think you have to test it out. With a bluetooth, it gives you a
reciever for other bluetooth device. But if you stay with a cordless RF
device, it does just as well without the cost.
Additional functionality for more money

[Thundersha 278850]

Games that I like to play

Old August 8th 06, 11:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
Stephen Howard

On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 17:56:10 +0100, "Bobby" wrote:

I am about to buy a keyboard and mouse for my Windows Media Center PC in the
living room and I was wondering whether I should buy a cordless keyboard and
mouse or a Bluetooth one.

What is the range for a cordless device? I know that the Bluetooth devices
can reach 10 metres (about 11 yards) so that range is fine - but is cordless
OK or will I have to place them near the transmitter/receiver?

I get 5 metres max from my Logitech CBB3 cordless dual mouse/keys
setup.

My Logitech CBC7 only does 4 metres.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old August 10th 06, 10:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
WindsorFox

Bobby wrote:
I am about to buy a keyboard and mouse for my Windows Media Center PC in the
living room and I was wondering whether I should buy a cordless keyboard and
mouse or a Bluetooth one.

What is the range for a cordless device? I know that the Bluetooth devices
can reach 10 metres (about 11 yards) so that range is fine - but is cordless
OK or will I have to place them near the transmitter/receiver?

Cheers.

Bobby

If you plan on using a MS blue tooth wireless keyboard and mouse 30
feet away from the transceiver, I have a flash for you. NOT....
I have these on about 15 or 20 desktop machines and would not recommend
them. But then none of the wireless desktops I've used will always work
at long distances. Some days you can be 5 feet away and others you hve
to have it sitting on top of the transceiver to work.

--
I used to have abs. Now, I've just got ab.
One big ol' Ab. - BigSkiff www.titanspot.com

Pyongyang sounds more like the sound effect an ACME catapult makes
as it goes off at precisely the wrong moment for Wile E. Coyote. -
Cadbury Moose