Learning Brocade Fabric OS

Old July 16th 04, 03:03 PM
Colonel Panic

Default Learning Brocade Fabric OS

Hi, I have a Brocade 2050, and I need to learn how to use their Fabric OS.
But I cant find any good information. Does anyone know of a good book or
even some documentation pdfs on the subject which I could download? Thanx 1
million!

JG

Old July 25th 04, 09:57 PM
Jesper Monsted

"Colonel Panic" wrote in
:

Hi, I have a Brocade 2050, and I need to learn how to use their
Fabric OS. But I cant find any good information. Does anyone know of a
good book or even some documentation pdfs on the subject which I could
download? Thanx 1 million!

There's brocade's own: Building SANS with Brocade Fabric Switches, ISBN 1-
928994-30-X, which will give you the basics of SAN technology and a bit on
troubleshooting, but unfortunately not much hands-on. I believe that this
book should enable you to work with the switch's web management, though. I
can't seem to find anything useful on Brocade's site, other than their
(excellent, i might add) certification tracks, but they're probably way too
expensive if you only use a single switch.

If you have any specific questions about FabricOS, ask them here and I, and
i'm sure others too, will try to answer them for you.

--
/Jesper Monsted
BCFP, BCSD
Old July 27th 04, 02:48 PM
Colonel Panic

Hey, thanx for the tips! I have the 'Building SANS...' book, but youre
right, its too general. BUT, I did find the pdf 'Fabric OS Procedures
Guide' on Brocades web site. Its just what I need.

But I still have a problem, so I shall ask
I am attaching an old Sun StorEdge 100 FC array (SSA100) to my Brocade
Silkworm 2050, but the switch doesnt acknowledge the Array's presence at
all. I dont get ANY link light on the switch port (although I can see the TX
lazer emitting from both array and switch ports). I am fairly certain I am
using the right cables and that they are in the right orientation. The
switch is running Fabric OS 2.1.9.
(Why the old equipent, you may ask? Because I am just building a Sun based
SAN to learn how they work

Any help greatly appreciated.

JG

"Jesper Monsted" wrote in message
4.163...
"Colonel Panic" wrote in
:

Old July 27th 04, 10:45 PM
Jesper Monsted

"Colonel Panic" wrote in
:

Hey, thanx for the tips! I have the 'Building SANS...' book, but
youre right, its too general. BUT, I did find the pdf 'Fabric OS
Procedures Guide' on Brocades web site. Its just what I need.

Excellent. I have the BCFP and BCSD study materials, but i doubt brocade
would like me to distribute those

But I still have a problem, so I shall ask
I am attaching an old Sun StorEdge 100 FC array (SSA100) to my Brocade
Silkworm 2050, but the switch doesnt acknowledge the Array's presence
at all. I dont get ANY link light on the switch port (although I can
see the TX lazer emitting from both array and switch ports). I am
fairly certain I am using the right cables and that they are in the
right orientation. The switch is running Fabric OS 2.1.9.

Can you give us the output of "switchshow" and "portshow n" for the port
that storage system is plugged into? Does the storage system support
Fabric, Loop or both?

(Why the old equipent, you may ask? Because I am just building a Sun
based SAN to learn how they work

We all have old stuff lying around - it's good for testing and playing I
think i could build a decent sized SAN with the stuff left over after our
migration to our new storage

--
Jesper Monsted
Old July 29th 04, 12:36 PM
Colonel Panic

Ok, here is a 'portshow' from the port where the array is attached:

portshow 0
portFlags: 0x20041 PRESENT U_PORT LED
portType: 3.1
portState: 2 Offline
portPhys: 4 No_Light
portScn: 0
portRegs: 0x80030000
portData: 0x10f618b0
portId: 011000
portWwn: 20:00:00:60:69:30:24:46

Interrupts: 9 Link_failu 0 Frjt: 0
Unknown: 3 Loss_of_sync: 3 Fbsy: 0
Lli: 9 Loss_of_sig: 4
Proc_rqrd: 0 Protocol_err: 0
Timed_out: 0 Invalid_word: 0
Rx_flushed: 0 Invalid_crc: 0
Tx_unavail: 0 Delim_err: 0
Free_buffer: 0 Address_err: 0
Overrun: 0 Lr_in: 0
Suspended: 0 Lr_out: 0
Parity_err: 0 Ols_in: 0
Ols_out: 0

Not too much happening, eh?
And a 'switchshow' output:

switchName: ffm1
switchType: 4.1
switchState: Online
switchRole: Principal
switchDomain: 1
switchId: fffc01
switchWwn: 10:00:00:60:69:30:24:46
port 0: sw No_Light
port 1: sw No_Light
port 2: sw No_Light
port 3: sw No_Light
port 4: sw No_Light
port 5: sw No_Light
port 6: sw No_Light
port 7: sw No_Light

I swear the array is plugged in! Its on port 0
To answer your question, I am not sure, but I believe the array can only
support loop (FC-AL). As the array dates from around 1997-8. (Did they
have fabrics back then?)

Ok, thanks again for your help.

J.

Old July 29th 04, 11:31 PM
Jesper Monsted

"Colonel Panic" wrote in
:

Ok, here is a 'portshow' from the port where the array is attached:

portshow 0

[snip]
portState: 2 Offline
portPhys: 4 No_Light

[snip]

And a 'switchshow' output:

[snip]
port 0: sw No_Light
port 1: sw No_Light
port 2: sw No_Light
port 3: sw No_Light
port 4: sw No_Light
port 5: sw No_Light
port 6: sw No_Light
port 7: sw No_Light

[snip]

I swear the array is plugged in! Its on port 0

Have you tried switching the two ferrules in one end of the cable? No_Light
means that the gbic can't see anything at all. Have you tried a different
port? If nothing else helps, you'll need to run some tests on the GBICs,
but we'll get to that. Try "portdisable" and "portenable" on the offending
port - helps once in a while if it gets really confused...

To answer your question, I am not sure, but I believe the array can
only support loop (FC-AL). As the array dates from around 1997-8.
(Did they have fabrics back then?)

Fabrics have existed for quite some time, but a lot of targets were loop-
only until fairly recently.

Does licenseshow list a loop license? (Not that this would result in
no_light, but saves me a question later if it doesn't work )

--
/Jesper Monsted
Old July 30th 04, 12:41 AM
Colonel Panic

Hmm. Here is the output of 'licenseshow':

ffm1:admin licenseshow
RzS9ySz9QbS0TAze:
Fabric license
edyQQSRycfezdSv:
Unknown license
Unknown license
Unknown license
SbSQydccycTcTRzI:
Web license
Zoning license
SES license
ffm1:admin

I dont see a 'loop license' specifically (unless its one of those 'Unknown
license's). Does this mean I need to aquire a loop license somehow?? (I
would have thought that would be included, but you are the expert, so I
believe whatever you say

I tried switching the ferrules, no light. I also did a portdisable and
portenable on the port, no luck, no light.
Tried another port too. No luck. Man they just dont like each other! :-P

Here is the output of a portshow after the disable/enable for reference:

ffm1:admin portdisable 0
ffm1:admin portenable 0
ffm1:admin portshow 0
portFlags: 0x20041 PRESENT U_PORT LED
portType: 3.1
portState: 2 Offline
portPhys: 4 No_Light
portScn: 0
portRegs: 0x80030000
portData: 0x10f618b0
portId: 011000
portWwn: 20:00:00:60:69:30:24:46

Interrupts: 6 Link_failu 0 Frjt: 0
Unknown: 2 Loss_of_sync: 2 Fbsy: 0
Lli: 6 Loss_of_sig: 7
Proc_rqrd: 0 Protocol_err: 0
Timed_out: 0 Invalid_word: 0
Rx_flushed: 0 Invalid_crc: 0
Tx_unavail: 0 Delim_err: 0
Free_buffer: 0 Address_err: 0
Overrun: 0 Lr_in: 0
Suspended: 0 Lr_out: 0
Parity_err: 0 Ols_in: 0
Ols_out: 0

Jeez. Maybe I actually need a 'loop license'. Is there really a separate
license for that? And what do you think those 'Unknown licenses' are??
Again, thanks so much for your help so far. I really appreciate it.
I will be away for a few days. I have a job interview in Frankfurt (I am an
american living in Germany). Will be back on monday, eager to take up the
fight anew. Have a nice weekdend!!

J.

"Jesper Monsted" wrote in message
.163...
"Colonel Panic" wrote in
:

Old July 30th 04, 01:22 AM
Jesper Monsted

"Colonel Panic" wrote in
:

Hmm. Here is the output of 'licenseshow':

ffm1:admin licenseshow
RzS9ySz9QbS0TAze:
Fabric license
edyQQSRycfezdSv:
Unknown license
Unknown license
Unknown license
SbSQydccycTcTRzI:
Web license
Zoning license
SES license
ffm1:admin

I dont see a 'loop license' specifically (unless its one of those
'Unknown license's). Does this mean I need to aquire a loop license
somehow?? (I would have thought that would be included, but you are
the expert, so I believe whatever you say

Strange - never seen "Unknown license" before

You might want to get a new Fabric OS release on there and see if that
helps.

I tried switching the ferrules, no light. I also did a portdisable
and portenable on the port, no luck, no light.
Tried another port too. No luck. Man they just dont like each other!
:-P

Something's broken...

Have you tried a different fibre cable? Has the port in the storage
system been known to work and can you replace it? Can you run a loopback
test on the switch port or connect two ports on the switch to see if they
light up?

[snip]
Jeez. Maybe I actually need a 'loop license'. Is there really a
separate license for that? And what do you think those 'Unknown
licenses' are?? Again, thanks so much for your help so far. I really
appreciate it. I will be away for a few days. I have a job interview
in Frankfurt (I am an american living in Germany). Will be back on
monday, eager to take up the fight anew. Have a nice weekdend!!

Those unknown licenses might be from an earlier (or newer) fabricos
release that has something yours doesn't. Don't waste too much time on
the licenses yet, it wouldn't be a no_light, but rather a "missing
licence" or similar error message.

Good luck on the job and have a nice weekend.

--
/Jesper Monsted
Old August 2nd 04, 09:12 PM
Colonel Panic

Im back. The interview was rescheduled for next week. Crap.
Anyway. OK, this is getting even weirder.
I connected the cable (same one I have been using on the array) to 2 ports
on the switch to create a loopback, and it works(!). I get nice green
flashing lights and this output from switchsshow:

port 0: sw Online Loopback-5
port 1: sw No_Light
port 2: sw No_Light
port 3: sw No_Light
port 4: sw No_Light
port 5: sw Online Loopback-0
port 6: sw No_Light
port 7: sw No_Light

So the cable (and ports?) is ok. ALSO, the array works fine with an older
Sun FC card (at least 4 years old), (but not with a newer Emulex card.
Significant?), when directly attached to a Sun Ultra2.
Strange innit? I could try to get a newer Fab OS version, but I dont know
if I can. I dont have a support license (although I 'registered' with
Brocades website), would I need one to get the OS upgrade? Also, I figured
since the array is so old, that it would work better with the older Fab OS
(maybe just my funny logic, but it seems to serve me well so far).
Could it be something about this long vs short wave signal that I read
about, or mulitmode vs single, or the diameter of the cable? Just trying to
throw some ideas out there. :-D Also, I had a look, and I can see the
little red lazer (or led) coming out of one of the channels for each port on
the switch and the array (and Im not blinded! )
Is this strange or what? Maybe they just hate each other. :-P

J.

Old August 2nd 04, 10:08 PM
jOwLeY

Hi - with reference to this problem - I know that you have probably checked
this, but have you ensured that the rx is connected to tx on the hub, and
vice versa?

it sounds to me like you just need to swap the fibre pair around -