Kensington Orbit Trackball arrived

Old September 28th 15, 08:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Kensington Orbit Trackball arrived

Problems with driver software.

First tried installing Kensington's, but screwy results. First off
couldn't even swap/reverse the buttons;- key assignments,
customization, nor much else worked.

Uninstalled Logitech's drivers. Mouse stopped working.

Uninstalled Kensington drivers. Mouse working. Reinstalled
Kensington drivers. Mouse stopped working.

I saw quite a few complaints in reviews over Kensington driver
problems

Thankfully, I didn't spend the money for a better model with
assignable 4-buttons I may, similarly, not have been able to access.

This model, 2-buttons, works natively within Windows' control for
acceptable performance.

Who knows. Sometimes these things have a way of working themselves
out. Sometimes not. (I'm not interested in reinstalling Windows or
kissing up to less-than-robust drivers.)

See what happens on down the road. (The drivers, if I get them
working, for a 2-button model, may not even be worth it for augmenting
past Microsoft's functionality.)

Oh, yeah -- for a two-button trackball, the ergonomics are nothing
sort of what Logitech has to offer at these model/pricings.

Excluding of course 4-button on Logitech's model, a nice touch if only
the switch sensors due break prematurely due to faulty engineering for
housing tolerances securing them;- I once swapped good for bad
switches to experience the same failure, so it wasn't the switch but
it's housing.

Maybe Kensington will hold up better to reasonable usage.
Old September 28th 15, 08:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Mon, 28 Sep 2015 03:19:19 -0400, Flasherly
wrote:

Complete forgot the physical scroll ring surrounding, holding in the
Kensington trackball.

Not used to it, rather. Might make up for being used one of the four,
an extra direct Logitech link to Windows' "Swap to last Window."
Convenient, very, although I didn't even bother, never adapted to an
"indispensable" assignment to using the 4th button.

I'm right handed, using a mouse left handed. That means taking my
left hand off the keyboard, 5 inches add now to tap alt-tab instead of
using Logitech's button.

Not that I didn't do, and plenty of it, holding down a button when
dragging down the left window bar for scrolling through pages;- I've
already set the scroll bar to increments of 3 for an approximate same
speed for dragging, provided I don't forget the scroll ring, which
would be continuing the hold habits.

Might want to dig up some old "mouse gesture" software, start fresh
and see if I can't get something decent going. Wasn't too impressed
last time I ran that stuff.