overheat allarm

Old September 16th 04, 07:02 PM
John

Default overheat allarm

Hello.

If your mobo alarm goes off because the temp is too high, is there a
way to disable it without rebooting the whole system?

I have an Abit NF7s board.

Cheers

John

Old September 16th 04, 07:05 PM
Jim Berwick

John wrote in news:sskjk0p7r20hr77ufqkcqnbtred5fb3aph@
4ax.com:

If your mobo alarm goes off because the temp is too high, is there a
way to disable it without rebooting the whole system?

Reduce temperatures to safe levels?
Old September 16th 04, 07:10 PM
John

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 18:05:03 +0000, A strange species called Jim
Berwick wrote:

John wrote in news:sskjk0p7r20hr77ufqkcqnbtred5fb3aph@
4ax.com:

If your mobo alarm goes off because the temp is too high, is there a
way to disable it without rebooting the whole system?

Reduce temperatures to safe levels?

So there isn't a way to do it then?

I wanted something that is instantaneous. The temperature levels are
safe, the alarm is so I know that they can't go any higher, I have set
the levels for the alarm. Is there no way to disable it other than
reboot or cool it more with fans?

John

Old September 16th 04, 07:19 PM
Jim Berwick

John wrote in news:7mljk05mba74li3qdfkp1io2139trr14ij@
4ax.com:

I wanted something that is instantaneous. The temperature levels are
safe, the alarm is so I know that they can't go any higher, I have set
the levels for the alarm. Is there no way to disable it other than
reboot or cool it more with fans?

If the alarm is still going off, temps are still over the alarm threshold.
Either you have it set too low, or there is still a danger of overheating.
Either raise the level of the alarm, or cool the computer properly.
Old September 16th 04, 08:49 PM
John

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 18:19:20 +0000, A strange species called Jim
Berwick wrote:

John wrote in news:7mljk05mba74li3qdfkp1io2139trr14ij@
4ax.com:

I wanted something that is instantaneous. The temperature levels are
safe, the alarm is so I know that they can't go any higher, I have set
the levels for the alarm. Is there no way to disable it other than
reboot or cool it more with fans?

If the alarm is still going off, temps are still over the alarm threshold.
Either you have it set too low, or there is still a danger of overheating.
Either raise the level of the alarm, or cool the computer properly.

So the answer is no. Its just a bit annoying when I have to turn the
fan up and wait for 5 minutes before it has cooled down before the
alarm goes off. I usually have to reboot, that's why I was asking.

John

Old September 16th 04, 10:48 PM
Jim Berwick

John wrote in news:jfrjk0ljshtboovk3a6bvktocs7d15k2mr@
4ax.com:

So the answer is no. Its just a bit annoying when I have to turn the
fan up and wait for 5 minutes before it has cooled down before the
alarm goes off. I usually have to reboot, that's why I was asking.

The answer is, either you set the alarm too low (ie, there is no danger) or
your system has a problem with overheating. Two solutions:
Set the alarm to 65C or higher, depending on the CPU. Most CPUs are fine
at 65C.

Otherwise, you need better cooling. If you are intentionally setting the
alarm level too low, that is the problem, not finding a way to turn the
alarm off.
Old September 17th 04, 12:47 AM
Wes Newell

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 20:49:45 +0100, John wrote:

So the answer is no. Its just a bit annoying when I have to turn the
fan up and wait for 5 minutes before it has cooled down before the
alarm goes off. I usually have to reboot, that's why I was asking.

I don't know or care what you're trying to accomplish by setting the alarm
low, but if you want to turn it off and on while running, simply install
an on/off toggle switch in the speaker wires.

Old September 17th 04, 07:58 PM
John

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 23:47:17 GMT, A strange species called Wes Newell
wrote:

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 20:49:45 +0100, John wrote:

So the answer is no. Its just a bit annoying when I have to turn the
fan up and wait for 5 minutes before it has cooled down before the
alarm goes off. I usually have to reboot, that's why I was asking.

I don't know or care what you're trying to accomplish by setting the alarm
low, but if you want to turn it off and on while running, simply install
an on/off toggle switch in the speaker wires.

How do you do that?

I am not setting the alarm level low or even touching that. I am just
altering the speed of the fan which is what effects the cooling.
Sometimes I need it to be as low as possible without heating the cpu
up to much, as I do recordings with a microphone and want as little
noise as possible. Other times I am running a lot of progs and I am
also in the middle of an online gaming session I have to terminate to
reboot and get rid of the alarm, because if I wait 5 minutes and more
for the increase fan speed to cool down the cpu, I would become deaf
from the noise and/or smash my computer up :-)

I did actually have another fan in the side of my computer as well but
that started making too much noise (as I have a dust problem) and even
after opening my system and cleaning all the fans, that particular one
had had it.

Thanks for everyones help.

John

Old September 18th 04, 07:50 AM
Gareth Tuckwell

With regard to the alarm:
You can't turn an alarm off because of the nature of an alarm - it is there
to warn about a certain situation (overheating), so until the temperature
drops below the alarm threshold, it will keep beeping. In your eyes, the
alarm constantly beeping is a problem, but it is not the 'real' problem -
the CPU is too hot and is likely to fry and need replacing - that is the
problem. The alarm is your friend!!

If your house's smoke alarm starts beeping due to a fire + smoke, you don't
want the option of turning off the alarm just because, "OK, I know there is
a fire, so I'll deal with it in a minute"!!!

Fix the problem in hardwa
Have a look at QuietPC.com or similar. You could get a zalman cooler or
something similar for your processor. A large passive (no fan) heatsink for
your motherboard chipset. A new quiet cooler for your graphics card and a
new power unit.. These run much quieter than the standard cooling options
(some are silent). I have just done all this in my computer and taken it
from 9 noisy fans to 3 quiet ones and it is actually cooler than before! For
the first time in about 3 years, I heard the hard disk 'rattel + click' the
other day, so I have now swapped my hard disk out to a less used PC and am
now using the quiet Spinpoint drive from my other PC. The only noise I have
in the case is the occasional audible hard disk 'rattle + click' and the
large fan blowing above my CPU, but I have that on an adjustable speed
resistor thingy!

Fix the problem with softwa
Another option you could investigate is software cooling. This sounds
rediculous, but you can get software that sends a signal that turns off the
processor for the few clock cycles where is it not required. This makes a
massive difference to temperature. I imagine that when you are capturing
sound, the processor is not working flat out, so if it were momenterally
turned off between busy spells, then the temperature would not rise!! I use
CPUIdle (search for it on google) and the temperature drops from about 55
degrees when under load to about 45 degrees in 2-3 seconds, then continues
down to mid 30s after a minute or so.

Change the alarm:
A third option is to turn off the alarm in your BIOS and install a
temperature monitor (with alarm) in windows. This way the high temperature
will be reported by controllable software! I have a Soltek motherboard and
there is a hardware monitor downloadable from their website - you should
investigate this option.

Or...
The final option is do nothing and just buy a new processor soon because the
one you have been running hot for ages will stop working!

overheat projecting dylan General 4 December 20th 04 04:51 PM
two hdds and one floppy install one on the other: would it overheat? Zhang Weiwu General 5 September 8th 04 11:42 AM
cpu overheat experience cupcake General 3 July 7th 04 11:23 AM
Shuttle SK41G and Athlon overheat... lower temp CPU? Tundra Wookie Overclocking AMD Processors 3 December 15th 03 12:56 PM