duron 600 o/c work in progress

Old March 27th 04, 10:41 PM
chris

Default duron 600 o/c work in progress

Ok this is work in progress while I installed O/S so didnt want to push it
too hard.

Duron 600 (pencilled), std barton2600+ hsf assembly, abit kd7a mobo, 1x512
pc2100 generic, Ti4800, 10gb HD, win98se

Stable at 700MHz (7x100) with 1.65V Vcore, abit monitoring prog reports temp
as 43.5C, it will not budge from there despite repeated 3dm2001se (scores
6150 btw).

This setup 'seems' faster than a coppermine P3-800 setup that a mate wants
replaced.

I will be pushing it further, any comments ppl. Windows now reports it as
being an athlon tho?! 3dM01 gets it right.

chris

Old March 28th 04, 05:27 AM
phsstpok

"chris" wrote in message ...
Ok this is work in progress while I installed O/S so didnt want to push it
too hard.

Duron 600 (pencilled), std barton2600+ hsf assembly, abit kd7a mobo, 1x512
pc2100 generic, Ti4800, 10gb HD, win98se

Stable at 700MHz (7x100) with 1.65V Vcore, abit monitoring prog reports temp
as 43.5C, it will not budge from there despite repeated 3dm2001se (scores
6150 btw).

This setup 'seems' faster than a coppermine P3-800 setup that a mate wants
replaced.

I will be pushing it further, any comments ppl. Windows now reports it as
being an athlon tho?! 3dM01 gets it right.

chris

For a year and half I pushed a Duron 600 to 1007 Mhz. I needed 1.85
VCore to do it. That was with a pretty mediocre HSF.

I've tested that same Duron up to 1112 Mhz but it needed 2.05 volt
which is too much with only air cooling.

Anyway, it was very common to get those old Spitfire core Durons to
run in the 950 to 1050 Mhz range.

Steve Sheppard
Old March 28th 04, 01:32 PM
Lars Hansen

Try the 8½ 9 9½ multipliers, you should be able to get it stable at those
speeds, use a max vcore of 1.85volts. The heatsink you have should be quite
sufficient if its meant for a barton2600+.

Good luck :-)

lars

Old March 28th 04, 09:29 PM
chris

"phsstpok" wrote in message
For a year and half I pushed a Duron 600 to 1007 Mhz. I needed 1.85
VCore to do it. That was with a pretty mediocre HSF.

I've tested that same Duron up to 1112 Mhz but it needed 2.05 volt
which is too much with only air cooling.

Anyway, it was very common to get those old Spitfire core Durons to
run in the 950 to 1050 Mhz range.

Steve Sheppard

What fsb were you running? My 600's sitting on an Abit kd7a with PC2100 ram
(fsb133).
On my games pc I run the ram and cpu in synch fsb-wise. Will the old duron
handle going from 100 to 133 ok? and then upping the multi?

Or just up the multi and leave fsb? At 100x7 I ran 3dm01se for about an hour
and cpu temp was read to be 45C using the abit software (anything better
available?)

remarks appreciated

Chris

Old March 30th 04, 01:20 AM
phsstpok

"chris" wrote in message ...
"phsstpok" wrote in message
[...]

I ran the Duron for one year+ at 9.5 x 106 = 1007 Mhz on a Abit KT7
mobo (KT133) then I gave it to my nephew but I slowed it to 9 x 100 =
900 Mhz. He had the system about another year until I thought the
Duron had died. I tested it on a couple systems with no luck until I
decided to redo the L7 bridge mod (default VCore) then it came back to
life. I tried it for about a day (using a different motherboard) at 7
x 150 = 1050 Mhz and also at 8 x 139 = 1112 Mhz. Both overclocks
needed 2.05 VCore.

With a more reasonable VCore of 1.85 volt I think I had it running at
6 or 6.5 x 150.

I only fooled around with it for a couple days before I shelved the
Duron.

I didn't exactly stress it while I did use it, unless you count an
hour of BF1942 (in single player mode). On this old SDRAM rig, Epox
8KTA3PRO (KT133A), it was slower than using my Tbred @2.1 Ghz
(~XP2600+) but not as bad as you might think. [I guess SDRAM and a
Radeon 8500 don't help much].

Anyway, I'm sure you will be able to run your Duron with FSB at 133
Mhz. I don't expect that you can go much higher than that, not with
PC2100 memory. The only reason I could hit 150 mhz is that I have
PC150 memory on this old mobo.

Anyway, give 133 Mhz a try. Start with the 6X default multiplier and
work your way up. Find your max stable overclock.

If you feel ambitious then test your FSB separately. Keep the
multiplier low and see how far you can get. My guess is you won't
even reach 140 Mhz with PC2100 memory but you won't know what you can
do until you try.

Once you know how high you can go with your FSB then you can re-test
your max overclock using FSB speed to fine tune.

Just a word of warning, these old Durons can get hot. I was reaching
52 degrees C at idle and 60-65 degree peaks using a half decent HSF.

Good luck, Chris!

Regards,

Phsstpok