IDE Ribbon cable Curiosity

Old December 27th 05, 01:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default IDE Ribbon cable Curiosity

I recently clean installed my OS (XP). When I do this I always disconnect
all of the devices and peripherals except the HD, floppy, and CD. Then add
the other devices back after the OS is installed. But when I disconnected my
slaved Zip drive from the ribbon cable that connects to my hard drive the
BIOS could not find the hard drive. I had to connect the Zip to do the job.
It could find my CD after disconnecting the slaved DVD. And yes, the slave
drive is connected to the slave connector (clearly marked) on the cable.
I've never seen this happen before. I do, however, have a used "extra long"
ribbon cable that I picked up in a shop to connect the hard drive to the Zip
in my Sonata box which are 8 inches or so apart. Could it be the cable? Even
old 40 wire cables worked fine on the master if the slave was disconnected.

Old December 27th 05, 02:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Howdy!

"BP" wrote in message
[...]

Wild guess - your hard disk is a Western Digital set to "Master".
That setting is for "Master, with Slave". You really should be using an
ATA66/100/133 cable (80 conductor) and the drives set for "Cable Select" -
but if you unplug the Zip in the future, pull the jumper on the WD and store
it for when you reconnect the Zip drive.

If it's not a WD, check the jumpers to see if there's a difference
between "Master - Only Drive" and "Master- With Slave".

And if not, I have no idea. But I've seen this quite often with
WDs.

RwP

Old December 27th 05, 05:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Ralph Wade Phillips" wrote in message
Howdy!

"BP" wrote in message
[...]

Bingo! I got the WD. It's set to master. I'll bet you are right. That would
explain it. Thanks!
I'm looking into round cables now....

Old December 28th 05, 04:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"BP" wrote in message
[...]

glad it worked out for you.

now, Google is over there --------

look and you will find quality cables unlike that lazy ****toad from a few
weeks ago

Data Ribbon Cable situation Charles Varner General 1 September 4th 05 01:35 AM
isolating new clone drive for 1st bootup Timothy Daniels Storage (alternative) 98 February 29th 04 10:45 PM
Laptop Keyboard Ribbon Cable Help Arthur Shapiro Acer Computers 1 December 22nd 03 03:48 AM
cutting psu wires Pen General 4 July 27th 03 07:49 PM
Ribbon Cable BP Storage (alternative) 8 July 15th 03 10:43 PM