A computer components & hardware forum. HardwareBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » HardwareBanter forum » General Hardware & Peripherals » Storage & Hardrives
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Grrr, hosed partitions...

Old April 8th 04, 09:54 PM
Guillaume Dargaud
external usenet poster

Default Grrr, hosed partitions...

I _had_ two internal disks with lots of data. [I have a backup but it's a week old so I'd like
them back]

One drive (F had one 60Gb NTFS partition and I wanted to change its cluster size.
The other drive (L had 11 various linux partitions and one 172Gb FAT32 partition.

So I moved everything from F: to L:
I changed the cluster size on F: and reformated it.
I had just started copying back when I had my first BSOD ever on that machine, a
KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR

When the computer started again, milo was hosed, I had to recover the MBR with the Win2K recovery
console. Upon reboot in Win2k (I don't care about loosing my linux partitions), the F disk was
almost empty (as expected) and there are two (instead of 12) empty partitions on L:, of the wrong
sizes.

Now what options do I have ? It's too late to do an easy recovery on F: and EasyRecoveryPro can
only find garbage on L: after hours of work. I'm sure the tables for that partition are still fine
somewhere, I just need to find them...

Anybody got some hints ?
I tried cfdisk and qtparted in Knoppix but the 1st seems useless and I don't know what to do with
the 2nd one...
--
Guillaume Dargaud
http://www.gdargaud.net/Antarctica/
"Vampireware /n/, a project, capable of sucking the lifeblood out of anyone unfortunate enough
to be assigned to it, which never actually sees the light of day, but nonetheless refuses to die."