Why is nwiz.exe started?

Old September 4th 04, 05:47 AM
Ken Wampach

Default Why is nwiz.exe started?

I have 2 Compaq Desktops
#1 Compaq Presario S3010CL-B (Sam's Club 7/3/2003) AMD Athlon XP
2200+
#2 Compaq Presario S5000J (Compaq Direct 9/13/2003) AMD Athlon
XP 2400+
Both use S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR video. While nosing around in
the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run
entry in the registry, I found an entry for "nwiz.exe
/installquiet /keeploaded /nodetect". I presume that those
qualifiers explain why it does not show up in the active
processes list. Google searches lead me to believe that this is
an NVIDEA driver. I don't think I have any NVIDEA hardware. Does
anyone know why it is being run?
--
Ken Wampach - FirstNameLastNameATyahooDOTcom

Old September 4th 04, 11:21 AM
HH

Why? Not sure, but it does load just ahead of the nVIDIA manager on my
S5200CL. How? Via msconfig.
Click on Start, Run and type msconfig then OK. You will see an entry for
nwiz. You can try unchecking it. Oh, S3 is now owned by VIA/nVIDIA.
HH

I have 2 Compaq Desktops

Old September 8th 04, 12:10 AM
the yeti

It is an Nvidea driver thing. No you don't need it. The proper way
is to remove it in the registy. You can delete it with no
reprecussions.