Can't access router used as access point

Old September 5th 15, 05:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Seymore4Head

Default Can't access router used as access point

I took an extra linksys router and reconfigured it as an access point.
I assigned it 192.168.1.2. The main router has a network map and it
shows a device on 192.168.1.2, but when I enter 192.168.1.2 in my
browser it doesn't log on to the access point. I get a timeout error.

The router works as an access point, but it is showing up as un
secure. I want to get back into the router and set a wireless
password.

Old September 6th 15, 03:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
SC Tom

"Seymore4Head" wrote in message
I took an extra linksys router and reconfigured it as an access point.
I assigned it 192.168.1.2. The main router has a network map and it
shows a device on 192.168.1.2, but when I enter 192.168.1.2 in my
browser it doesn't log on to the access point. I get a timeout error.

The router works as an access point, but it is showing up as un
secure. I want to get back into the router and set a wireless
password.

I assume its IP is within your network range? Can you ping it and get a
response?

On my Asus router, it says;
"In Access Point (AP) mode, RT-N10P connects to a wireless router through an
Ethernet cable to extend the wireless signal coverage to other network
clients. In this mode, the firewall, IP sharing, and NAT functions are
disabled by default.
In Access Point (AP) mode, the DHCP-assigned IP address changes. Install and
use the Device Discovery Utility in order to detect the wireless router's IP
address."

The Device Discovery Utility is DL'd from he
dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/LiveUpdate/Release/Wireless/Discovery.zip

Don't know if it'll work with your Linksys. If not, maybe Linksys has a
similar utility.

God, I hate troubleshooting network problems :-(
--
SC Tom

Old September 6th 15, 04:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Seymore4Head

On Sat, 5 Sep 2015 22:55:01 -0400, "SC Tom" wrote:

"Seymore4Head" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I could not ping the router.
My main router is an ASUS AC66U It also has an AP mode.
I love so far from the road that someone would have to be in my
driveway to log into the network.

I guess I have two choices, reset the router and start over or just
live with having it unsecured.

Thanks
Old September 6th 15, 07:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Robin Bignall

On Sun, 06 Sep 2015 11:47:19 -0400, Seymore4Head
wrote:

On Sat, 5 Sep 2015 22:55:01 -0400, "SC Tom" wrote:

"Seymore4Head" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I've got a similar problem with a Linksys router that I've had for
years. If I address it with 192.168.0.1 I get its login screen, but
read-only. The password input field is greyed out. Since it worked
fine with Win 7 I assume it's a 'feeture' of Win 10.
Any ideas?
--
Robin Bignall
Herts, England
Old September 6th 15, 09:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

wrote:

[...]

If you think that is the case, test with another OS and browser.

Paul
Old September 6th 15, 11:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Robin Bignall

wrote:

[...]

Good advice. It works perfectly with Chrome, not with IE. Thanks.
--
Robin Bignall
Herts, England