Gateway Connected DVD Player

Old December 29th 03, 04:43 AM
Smith

Default Gateway Connected DVD Player

I just bought a Gateway Connected DVD Player. I bought the Ethernet
version btw.

The problem is the Gateway Server Software, filters out my Divx files.
I have the latest version. I have encoded a couple of movies using
Flask and Divx Codecs 4.0 and 5.0. Neither attemps would work. I also
downloaded a movie and the server software filtered it out also.

Does anyone have any ideas? I have a bunch of mpeg1 files, which work
fine, btw.
Old December 31st 03, 04:29 PM
Smith

(Frank V) wrote in message om...
(Smith) wrote in message om...
I just bought a Gateway Connected DVD Player. I bought the Ethernet
version btw.

The problem is the Gateway Server Software, filters out my Divx files.
I have the latest version. I have encoded a couple of movies using
Flask and Divx Codecs 4.0 and 5.0. Neither attemps would work. I also
downloaded a movie and the server software filtered it out also.

Does anyone have any ideas? I have a bunch of mpeg1 files, which work
fine, btw.

Supposedly it now supports MPEG-4 (DivX) - Gateway lists it under
"Highlights" but not under "Specification" or in the product manual.
Have you tried the latest DivX version (5.1.1 I believe)?
Please post your resolution as I am very much interested in this
player as well. How do you like its other features (e.g. display of
pics - can you rotate a pic from the remote?), video playback of
commercial DVDs, etc.?

Frank

I bought the Ethernet version, because I was afraid of the wireless
connection breaking up. I have to say overall I really like the
player. I ripped some DVD's into VCD's and the playback is fine, no
problems. I have not tried SVCD, but I have tried DivX version 5.1 and
4.0. After I created them, the server software (that comes with the
player) will not recognize it the DivX files. I will try version 3.11
as I believe that was a pretty popular codec. If that doesn't work,
I'll have to call Gateway and find out what's going on.

Pictures look fine for being displayed on the TV, however I don't know
if you can rotate them, I haven't tried. Music is great because I just
lie on my couch and can listen to all my 3000 mp3 files. However you
need to have good ID tags on the files. Under the Artist directory I
have several of the same artists because of slightly different
spelling. So I'll have to go through the ID tags and clean them up.

Overall it's a great player. I also have a ATI Wondercard which I
wanted to do soemthing similar to years ago. The Gateway puts that to
shame.

If I can get it to play DivX files, I'll be a real happy camper.