XPS-18-i7: Windows 8.1 breaks bluetooth

Old January 11th 14, 10:47 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
David Arnstein[_2_]

Default XPS-18-i7: Windows 8.1 breaks bluetooth

I have a shiny new XPS-18, the one with the Intel i7 processor in it.
As delivered, it worked great. Then I did the free Windows 8 -
Windows 8.1 upgrade. Bluetooth stopped working.

Specifically: I have several bluetooth headphones, stereo. I can pair
them with my XPS-18, but immediately after the pairing is complete,
the headphone goes to the "unconnected" state in Windows. Power
cycling headphones and XPS-18 does not help.

I did a factory restore to bring back Windows 8. My headphones started
working again, naturally.

I suppose that there is some Dell-specific device driver that needs to
be upgraded. I can't find it, so I will have to try technical support.
I anticipate frustration and failure.

Has anyone faced this issue? Thanks for any suggestions.
--
David Arnstein (00)
{{ }}
Old January 11th 14, 12:57 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

On 1/11/2014 4:47 AM, David Arnstein wrote:
I have a shiny new XPS-18, the one with the Intel i7 processor in it.
As delivered, it worked great. Then I did the free Windows 8 -
Windows 8.1 upgrade. Bluetooth stopped working.

Specifically: I have several bluetooth headphones, stereo. I can pair
them with my XPS-18, but immediately after the pairing is complete,
the headphone goes to the "unconnected" state in Windows. Power
cycling headphones and XPS-18 does not help.

I did a factory restore to bring back Windows 8. My headphones started
working again, naturally.

I suppose that there is some Dell-specific device driver that needs to
be upgraded. I can't find it, so I will have to try technical support.
I anticipate frustration and failure.

Has anyone faced this issue? Thanks for any suggestions.

Bluetooth can be very frustrating! And I try to avoid that technology
because it depends on so many things being just right, otherwise it
fails. A far better solution for wireless headphones is using a FM
transmitter IMHO. Unless you are worried about privacy.

--
Bill
Dell Latitude Slate Tablet 128GB SSD ('12 era) - Thunderbird v12
Old January 14th 14, 05:10 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

On Saturday, January 11, 2014 5:47:13 AM UTC-5, David Arnstein wrote:
[...]

FWIW, Bluetooth drivers are somewhat generic because they use pretty much the same technology. The wrinkle is that some Bluetooth driver installation software has checks built in to assure that the driver is being installed on only one name brand of laptop... Ben
Old January 14th 14, 06:26 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
David Arnstein[_2_]

Default Resolved: XPS-18-i7: Windows 8.1 breaks bluetooth

I went to Dell's web site and downloaded 16 software updates.
Afterwards, my problem vanished. It might have been enough to just do
the bluetooth update, but I *might* have seen some flaky behavior, so
I just did the whole lot.

Peeve. Dell did not optimize this experience. After I allowed their
software to "analyze" my computer, it offered me 19 updates. Three of
these updates were for hardware that my computer does not have. Dumb.

I had to install each update separately. That was a lot of mouse
clicking.

After it was all over, I went back to the web site. I allowed the Dell
software to analyze my computer again. The software offered me the
same 19 updates. Now that is just ****ing stupid.
--
David Arnstein (00)
{{ }}
Old January 19th 14, 12:41 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

On Tuesday, January 14, 2014 1:26:48 AM UTC-5, David Arnstein wrote:
[...]

No better than Microsoft's Windows Update for Windows 7. I am setting up a new system for a client, and the updates and reboots just go on and on and on. Then I installed Microsoft Office. Still more updates and reboots. And a couple of updates that failed with "Unknown Error". How in hell, after 13 years of doing on-line Windows updates, does an update fail with an unknown error? The only saving grace is that I can go off an do something else while the updates are churning away.

And, yes, after I have applied some Windows updates, the Windows Updates offers them to me again.

The people who write these automatic update programs must all be on coke, crack, speed, or caffinated alcoholic beverages.
Old January 19th 14, 08:49 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
ghostrider

On 1/18/2014 4:41 PM, Ben Myers wrote:
[...]

Updating a notebook from XP to Windows 7. Expecting about 160 updates.
Fine time for them to get installed whilst watching the playoff games.
It is always nice to have something else to do to bide the time.

GR
Old April 17th 14, 07:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

I faced the same problem and I got solution from: http://www.microsoftsupportchat.com/...tooth-failure/
Old April 25th 15, 03:41 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom

On Saturday, January 11, 2014 at 7:57:45 AM UTC-5, BillW50 wrote:
[...]

Not a helpful reply. The poster asked for help with a specific device that they already owned, not for a sales pitch on buying a whole other type of technology. If you couldn't help, why did you bother to reply?
Old April 25th 15, 04:00 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob_Villa

On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 9:41:37 PM UTC-5, Tom wrote:
[...]

Why did you bother to reply to a yr old thread? Also this guy (BW) is a known a-hole.
Old April 26th 15, 04:10 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

BillW50 wrote:
Bluetooth can be very frustrating! And I try to avoid that technology
because it depends on so many things being just right, otherwise it
fails. A far better solution for wireless headphones is using a FM
transmitter IMHO. Unless you are worried about privacy.

I've been using an FM transmitter since 1996, to stream whatever audio
to the room stereo system and into the yard when I'm doing chores.

The sudden arrival of a religious station on the only open frequency
reduced the range for yard work, so I put a always-on fm receiver next
to an audio baby monitor and use a baby monitor receiver clipped to my
hat to deal with lawn audio.

It has to be on your head so that you don't block the signal by turning.

I turn off bluetooth in any machines that have it, in the BIOS, where
there's an option for not presenting any information about it to the
operating system.