Help - all my printers have vanished!

Old December 19th 09, 09:28 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Trevor[_4_]

Default Help - all my printers have vanished!

All my printers have vanished suddenly from control panelprinters. One
Canon colour, one HP 1022 laser, and several pdf printers - what could have
happened? How can I get them back?

Old December 19th 09, 09:36 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Trevor[_4_]

I have discovered that the print spooler service was stopped, but every time
I star it it just stops again.

o.uk...

Old December 19th 09, 12:47 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Al[_5_]

On Dec 19, 4:36*am, "Trevor" wrote:
I have discovered that the print spooler service was stopped, but every time
I star it it just stops again.

"Trevor" wrote in message

o.uk...

All my printers have vanished suddenly from control panelprinters. One
Canon colour, one HP 1022 laser, and several pdf printers - what could
have happened? How can I get them back?

Delete all the items in the spool or the whole folder and restart your
system. Everything should come back. You probably already solved the
problem. If this doesn't work, use the restore function to set you
back to a previous date where everything worked.

Old December 23rd 09, 10:43 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Evan[_2_]

This happened to about 6 computers on vista I know when they installed a
microsoft 'update'

o.uk...

Old December 24th 09, 02:38 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Al[_5_]

On Dec 23, 5:43*pm, "Evan" wrote:
This happened to about 6 computers on vista I know when they installed a
microsoft 'update'

"Trevor" wrote in message

o.uk...

All my printers have vanished suddenly from control panelprinters. One
Canon colour, one HP 1022 laser, and several pdf printers - what could
have happened? How can I get them back?

And that's a good point to note. Always establish plenty of restore
points. I avoid automatic updates so I know which ones are going in
and I can set a restore point beforehand. Also, MS will automatically
sign you up for things you may not want such as permission to check
through your computer. Yes, they say they are doing it for your
benefit so there is no unauthorized MS software installed. I call
shenanigans and refuse to give them such wide ranging permission. And
I have valid licenses for all my software.
Old January 2nd 10, 06:46 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Andrew Hamilton

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 06:38:37 -0800 (PST), Al
wrote:

On Dec 23, 5:43*pm, "Evan" wrote:
This happened to about 6 computers on vista I know when they installed a
microsoft 'update'

"Trevor" wrote in message

o.uk...

All my printers have vanished suddenly from control panelprinters. One
Canon colour, one HP 1022 laser, and several pdf printers - what could
have happened? How can I get them back?

This also happened to me, when I got a particularly nasty virus. I
use Norton Internet Security, and the "cleanout procedure for the
bad-guy files also shut down the print spooler! Either Norton really
screwed up, or the virus-writers in Eastern Europe are getting very,
very clever. In any case, rebooting my system restored the printers.
Unfortunately, the reboot also restored the malware, due to a rootkit
being present. I needed to use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to get rid
of the rootkit.

And that's a good point to note. Always establish plenty of restore
points. I avoid automatic updates so I know which ones are going in
and I can set a restore point beforehand. Also, MS will automatically
sign you up for things you may not want such as permission to check
through your computer. Yes, they say they are doing it for your
benefit so there is no unauthorized MS software installed.

Huh! How can a software patch routine do that?

I also have valid licenses for everything, but I refuse to register
with MS (as opposed to activate).

-AH