Hitachi RMA response - how fast?

Old October 28th 09, 10:49 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Andrew Hamilton

Default Hitachi RMA response - how fast?

In practice, how fast does Hitachi send out a replacement for a drive
returned under RMA?

Their RMA status web page has this message:

Please be aware that you may experience a delay in receiving your
replacement disk drive based on stock availability. If product is
available, your replacement order will be processed within 14 working
days after the receipt of your defective disk drive.

-----------------

Are they saying that if there are no more drives available, then I'm
outta luck?
Old October 28th 09, 10:57 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno[_3_]

Andrew Hamilton wrote:
In practice, how fast does Hitachi send out a replacement for a drive
returned under RMA?

Their RMA status web page has this message:

Please be aware that you may experience a delay in receiving your
replacement disk drive based on stock availability. If product is
available, your replacement order will be processed within 14 working
days after the receipt of your defective disk drive.

-----------------

Are they saying that if there are no more drives available, then I'm
outta luck?

No. Just that it could take a couple of weeks if the have no drive
in your size ready to be shipped.

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email:
----
Old October 30th 09, 07:24 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Andrew Hamilton
writes

Are they saying that if there are no more drives available, then I'm
outta luck?

No, they'll send you the next capacity drive up that they do have in
stock. e.g. if you send in a 250GB and they have none in, they'll send
you a 320GB instead.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.

Old October 30th 09, 08:50 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
Andrew Hamilton writes

In practice, how fast does Hitachi send out a replacement for a drive returned under RMA?

Their RMA status web page has this message:

Please be aware that you may experience a delay in receiving
your eplacement disk drive based on stock availability. If product
is available, your replacement order will be processed within 14
working days after the receipt of your defective disk drive.

Are they saying that if there are no more drives available, then I'm outta luck?

No, they'll send you the next capacity drive up that they do have in
stock. e.g. if you send in a 250GB and they have none in, they'll
send you a 320GB instead.

Doesnt explain why that should take longer.

Old October 30th 09, 07:44 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Andrew Hamilton

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 07:24:53 +0000, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

In article , Andrew Hamilton
writes

Are they saying that if there are no more drives available, then I'm
outta luck?

No, they'll send you the next capacity drive up that they do have in
stock. e.g. if you send in a 250GB and they have none in, they'll send
you a 320GB instead.

Since I sent in a 1 TB drive, I can only hope that Hitachi will ship
me their new 2 TB model. LOL!~

As of 10 minutes ago, the Hitachi website said that they had still not
shipped out a replacement drive. There is still hope.

I'll keep the group posted.

-ah

Old November 12th 09, 09:33 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Andrew Hamilton wrote:
On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 19:23:34 -0700, me/2 wrote:

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 07:24:53 +0000, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

In article , Andrew
Hamilton writes

Are they saying that if there are no more drives available, then
I'm outta luck?

No, they'll send you the next capacity drive up that they do have
in stock. e.g. if you send in a 250GB and they have none in,
they'll send you a 320GB instead.

I've been lucky in that I've only had one hard drive failure in the
last 20 years or so. It was a 160 GB Seagate IDE drive about 2 years
ago. I did an online RMA request, shipped the drive off and less than
a week later I received a 250 GB as a replacement. The replacement
still has around 2 years left of the original 5 year warranty.

me/2

Well,

I've also had very good luck with both Seagate and Hitachi drives,
until now. And, it's been over 2 weeks now since Hitachi received the
drive back from me, but still no replacement drive shipped.

Is there any possibility that Hitachi will simply say, "Sorry no
drives available. Go away?"

Nope, legally they cant do that.

They have to ship you something, often a bigger drive short stroked to the size of the one you sent them.

Old November 12th 09, 10:07 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno[_3_]

Andrew Hamilton wrote:
On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 19:23:34 -0700, me/2 wrote:

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 07:24:53 +0000, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

:In article , Andrew Hamilton
writes
:
[...]

No, that would be fraudulent. But two weeks would be very fast
for a cheap consumer=grade device.

Arno

Old November 12th 09, 05:00 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Andrew Hamilton

On 12 Nov 2009 10:07:54 GMT, Arno wrote:

No, that would be fraudulent. But two weeks would be very fast
for a cheap consumer=grade device.

Thanks, Arno. The web site promises a replacement, "if available."
Sounds pretty weasel-word-y to me. If I don't get a replacement soon,
I will have to go out and buy another drive. I suppose I can always
use the extra storage, SIGH.

-AH

Arno

Old November 13th 09, 06:49 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Andrew Hamilton wrote
Arno wrote

No, that would be fraudulent. But two weeks would
be very fast for a cheap consumer=grade device.

The web site promises a replacement, "if available."
Sounds pretty weasel-word-y to me.

More fool you. Operations like that know what the law requires.