finally tossing all my old floppy disks - the end of an era

Old September 15th 09, 05:35 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Andrew Hamilton

Default finally tossing all my old floppy disks - the end of an era

I recently connected my 3 1/2" floppy drive to one of my systems, and
discovered that all my old floppies are no longer readable. And, most
of them can't even be formatted successfully.

No real surprise here, since most of the disks are well over 10 years
old, including lots of those AOL freebies.

Fortunately, there was nothing valuable on the floppies. The space in
my closet was worth more than the disks themselves.

So for me, an old PC user from the CP/M days, when a "real system" was
a Z80 with dual 8" floppy drives and a dot-matrix printer, it's the
end of an era.

-AH
Old September 15th 09, 08:51 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ed Light

Andrew Hamilton wrote:
I recently connected my 3 1/2" floppy drive to one of my systems, and
discovered that all my old floppies are no longer readable. And, most
of them can't even be formatted successfully.

It could be the motherboard, floppy drive, or the cable reversed.
--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org
http://antiwar.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.
Old September 15th 09, 10:33 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
2312

Ed Light wrote:
Andrew Hamilton wrote:
I recently connected my 3 1/2" floppy drive to one of my systems, and
discovered that all my old floppies are no longer readable. And,
most of them can't even be formatted successfully.

It could be the motherboard, floppy drive, or the cable reversed.

Nope, the cable reversed would see none of them being able to be formatted successfully.

Old September 15th 09, 11:32 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Man-wai Chang to The Door (+MS=32B)

Fortunately, there was nothing valuable on the floppies. The space in
my closet was worth more than the disks themselves.
So for me, an old PC user from the CP/M days, when a "real system" was
a Z80 with dual 8" floppy drives and a dot-matrix printer, it's the
end of an era.

Does US EPA have a policy to recycle old floppy diskettes?

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Ubuntu 9.04) Linux 2.6.30.5
Old September 17th 09, 11:06 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Andrew Hamilton

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 00:51:26 -0700, Ed Light
wrote:

Andrew Hamilton wrote:
I recently connected my 3 1/2" floppy drive to one of my systems, and
discovered that all my old floppies are no longer readable. And, most
of them can't even be formatted successfully.

It could be the motherboard, floppy drive, or the cable reversed.

I considered that, but that wasn't the real problem.

-AH
Old September 21st 09, 08:49 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Franc Zabkar

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 23:23:27 -0500, John Turco
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I'm planning to build a new computer, and have already gathered all
the necessary components; one of those is a black Sony 3.5" floppy
drive (internal).

Even though I've rarely used diskettes, the past several years --
what can it possibly hurt, to install such a device? :-J

Yes, it's hard to beat the old floppy. There's still a long time to go
before I toss mine. ;-)

- Franc Zabkar
Old September 22nd 09, 08:24 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Eric Gisin

Do floppies use plutonium oxide or cadmium as media?
If you really want to recycle cheap plastics, use them as fuel.

Old September 24th 09, 06:32 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Andrew Hamilton

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 23:23:27 -0500, John Turco
wrote:

Hello, Andrew:

I'm planning to build a new computer, and have already gathered all
the necessary components; one of those is a black Sony 3.5" floppy
drive (internal).

Even though I've rarely used diskettes, the past several years --
what can it possibly hurt, to install such a device? :-J

Of course it can't _ hurt _ . The question is how much will it help.
In practical terms, it's easy to get a PowerPoint file that is
2-3-4 MB, or more. Can't move that PPT file with a floppy drive and
diskette.

The other day I paid about $35 for a 16 GB Kingston Data Traveler.
Much more convenient, works without additional drivers on almost all
modern desktops and laptops. Faster, quieter. And about 1200 X the
capacity of the standard 1.44 MB floppy. What's not to like?

-AH
Old September 24th 09, 06:33 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Andrew Hamilton

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 17:49:13 +1000, Franc Zabkar
wrote:

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 23:23:27 -0500, John Turco
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I'm planning to build a new computer, and have already gathered all
the necessary components; one of those is a black Sony 3.5" floppy
drive (internal).

Even though I've rarely used diskettes, the past several years --
what can it possibly hurt, to install such a device? :-J

Yes, it's hard to beat the old floppy. There's still a long time to go
before I toss mine. ;-)

You'll probably discover that all your old diskettes are no longer
readable. Intrinsic to any magnetic media, including tape, which
means all your old VCR tapes will eventually become unplayable.

-AH

- Franc Zabkar

Old September 24th 09, 11:28 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ed Light

Andrew Hamilton wrote:

The other day I paid about $35 for a 16 GB Kingston Data Traveler.
Much more convenient, works without additional drivers on almost all
modern desktops and laptops. Faster, quieter. And about 1200 X the
capacity of the standard 1.44 MB floppy. What's not to like?

Beware that thumb drives can get corrupted. Be sure to have the data
backed up.