Multi-core and memory

Old June 10th 08, 04:40 PM posted to comp.arch,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Del Cecchi

Default Multi-core and memory

"Chris Thomasson" wrote in message
. ..

"Chris Thomasson" wrote in message
. ..
"Robert Myers" wrote in message
On Jun 6, 7:50 pm, Neal wrote:

What you would
have to do is either place the DRAM and CPU on the same die, or
connect the two die together either via a multi-chip module or die
stacking (and then place in the same package.

like this:

http://www.eetimes.com/showArticle.j...leID=208402316

slashdotted today.

Kind of sounds vaguely similar to something like:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp....fd728c57a75d9a

Humm...... When you get some _really_ free time, go ahead and spend a
few minutes thinking along the line of:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp....74295430deb430
(Please read entire thread...)

WOW! Nano/Bio-Gates... Very Slick! Some genius actually created
workable gates out of several molecules! :^O

Any Thoughts?

Sure. may be important and may not be. Remember tunnel diodes?
Josephson Junctions? High Temp superconductors? AI? Xray lithography?
VLIW? All were going to change the world.

Old June 10th 08, 05:23 PM posted to comp.arch,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Del Cecchi" writes:
| "Chris Thomasson" wrote in message
| . ..
|
| WOW! Nano/Bio-Gates... Very Slick! Some genius actually created
| workable gates out of several molecules! :^O
|
| Sure. may be important and may not be. Remember tunnel diodes?
| Josephson Junctions? High Temp superconductors? AI? Xray lithography?
| VLIW? All were going to change the world.

On the other hand, some technology fails when it first appears, only
to succeed years, decades or centuries later as enabling technology,
constraints or requirements change. One always needs to consider
timescale when planning any research or design project :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old June 10th 08, 08:00 PM
earth earth is offline
Junior Member

OurSwaps - Online Swap, Barter, Auction Marketplace
OurSwaps is an online swap and barter marketplace where people can meet and shop using products, services or even money. It's free to join and list stuff to swap.
ViJuvenate

Last edited by earth : September 13th 08 at 05:43 PM.
Old June 11th 08, 07:17 AM posted to comp.arch,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Chris Thomasson

"Gavin Scott" wrote in message
news
In comp.arch Chris Thomasson wrote:
I am talking about integrating a multi-core processor with a 2GB of DDR3
memory in a single pluggable card.

I think the biggest problem you'd have with that would be thermal if
you want all that in a DIMM-like form factor. If you need 30 in^3 of
thermal management infrastructure for each one then you might as well
have discrete processors and separate memory maybe.

I was just wondering of that could be possible, or if its a pipe-dream...

A heat-pipe-dream.

:^D

There has to be a way to address the heat issue. Perhaps with very clever
liquid cooling techniques and fans. Humm...

Old June 11th 08, 09:40 AM posted to comp.arch,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Chris Thomasson" writes:
| "Gavin Scott" wrote in message
| news | In comp.arch Chris Thomasson wrote:
| I am talking about integrating a multi-core processor with a 2GB of DDR3
| memory in a single pluggable card.
|
| I think the biggest problem you'd have with that would be thermal if
| you want all that in a DIMM-like form factor. If you need 30 in^3 of
| thermal management infrastructure for each one then you might as well
| have discrete processors and separate memory maybe.
|
| I was just wondering of that could be possible, or if its a pipe-dream...
|
| A heat-pipe-dream.
|
| :^D
|
| There has to be a way to address the heat issue. Perhaps with very clever
| liquid cooling techniques and fans. Humm...

Perhaps by stepping back and thinking.

It is obviously impossible to keep ramping up the heat density, even
ignoring matters like machine room capacities and global warming.
So, as always in engineering when faced with an insoluble problem,
the solution is to change the problem.

We already know how to solve this for another 10-20 years, but the
political will is lacking. All it requires is gritting our teeth
and saying "no, you CAN'T have continually increasing performance
of your serial spaghetti codes - we are up against the physical
limits - now get on with delivering a software revolution."

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.