Quick Launch problem

Old August 2nd 06, 08:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
-Nisko-

Default Quick Launch problem

Frequently enough, I lose my QuickLaunch icons (all of them). Can someone
tell me where the setting is to restore them (from a backup)? I have over
140 icons and reconstructing them is a royal nuisance. If I could restore
just that part from a backup, life would be a lot simpler. Thanks.......

Old August 2nd 06, 08:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
R. McCarty

One Hundred and Forty QuickLaunch icons ? -

They are stored at:

\Documents & Settings\'LoginName'\Application Data\
Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

Old August 2nd 06, 08:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rod Speed

-Nisko- wrote:

Frequently enough, I lose my QuickLaunch icons (all of them).

Do you mean that the quicklaunch toolbard goes missing
or that its still there and there are no icons on it anymore ?

Can someone tell me where the setting is to restore them (from a backup)?

Search on Quick Launch.
They're normally in
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick
Launch

I have over 140 icons and reconstructing them is a royal nuisance. If I could restore
just that part from a backup, life would be a lot simpler.

If they are going missing from that folder, you
have a serious problem that needs to be fixed.

Old August 2nd 06, 11:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Sjouke Burry

-Nisko- wrote:
Frequently enough, I lose my QuickLaunch icons (all of them). Can someone
tell me where the setting is to restore them (from a backup)? I have over
140 icons and reconstructing them is a royal nuisance. If I could restore
just that part from a backup, life would be a lot simpler. Thanks.......

Get a second(larger)harddisk and make a ghostimage
with Gost2003 on that(compressed).
My last one: c8.5GB) to 4.3GB backup.
When in trouble:restore disk.
when nice and stable: backup disk.
I can keep several backup this way, and kill
some of the older ones on occasion.
Old August 2nd 06, 11:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Sjouke Burry wrote:

-Nisko- wrote:
Frequently enough, I lose my QuickLaunch icons (all of them).
Can someone tell me where the setting is to restore them (from a
backup)? I have over 140 icons and reconstructing them is a
royal nuisance. If I could restore just that part from a backup,
life would be a lot simpler.

R. McCarty's is the straightforward/easy solution.

Get a second(larger)harddisk and make a ghostimage
with Gost2003 on that(compressed).
My last one: c8.5GB) to 4.3GB backup.
When in trouble:restore disk.
when nice and stable: backup disk.
I can keep several backup this way, and kill
some of the older ones on occasion.

That is much more involved than necessary, but I find that
especially useful for doing incremental Windows installations.
Currently I use Partition Manager 2005. You just make a copy(s) of
the Windows partition. It's a Windows program that does the work on
a reboot. I keep PartitionMagic around as a backup disk manager in
case Partition Manager doesn't do a particular task.

Old August 3rd 06, 02:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
-Nisko-

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
-Nisko- wrote:

Frequently enough, I lose my QuickLaunch icons (all of them).

Do you mean that the quicklaunch toolbard goes missing
or that its still there and there are no icons on it anymore ?

This time, the toolbars are missing.

Old August 3rd 06, 02:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
-Nisko-

I had 8 or 9 sections with QuickLaunch icons in them. These are also gone.
If I restore (as you've described below), will those sections re-appear?
Each section has a certain type of QuickLaunch icons in them, i.e. Backup,
Graphics, Disk Utilities, etc.