warning!!!! maxtor 120GB 160GB drives - unreliable

Old July 20th 06, 07:03 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
hodw

Default warning!!!! maxtor 120GB 160GB drives - unreliable

I advise all of you with maxtor 120GB or 160GB drives to immediatly
backup your data and buy new drives from other companies.

In the last 9 months I had two new maxtor drives fail without warning.
The same system has drives from other companies which work pefectly.
The money and data loss was much more that buying a new drive.

Also their RMA system and costumer support are really bad.

Hod

Old July 20th 06, 07:34 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

Previously hodw wrote:
I advise all of you with maxtor 120GB or 160GB drives to immediatly
backup your data and buy new drives from other companies.

In the last 9 months I had two new maxtor drives fail without warning.
The same system has drives from other companies which work pefectly.
The money and data loss was much more that buying a new drive.

I have 22 Maxtor 120GB drives running with zero failures for 3 years
now. Maybe inadequate cooling or some other problem not the drive's
fault?

Arno
Old July 20th 06, 09:56 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Egil Solberg

hodw wrote:
I advise all of you with maxtor 120GB or 160GB drives to immediatly
backup your data and buy new drives from other companies.

In the last 9 months I had two new maxtor drives fail without warning.
The same system has drives from other companies which work pefectly.
The money and data loss was much more that buying a new drive.

Also their RMA system and costumer support are really bad.

Hod

Hm, I' m on my 5th Maxtor drive now. Not a single one has ever failed on me.
Went over to Samsung, now that Seagate has bought Maxtor.

I hope you learned to make regular backups, after all. I learned it the hard
way with a Seagate drive once.

Old July 20th 06, 11:05 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mike Tomlinson

In article . com, hodw
writes

I advise all of you with maxtor 120GB or 160GB drives to immediatly
backup your data and buy new drives from other companies.

News just in: bear defecates in woods and Pope confirms he's Catholic...

--
(\__/)

Old July 21st 06, 07:28 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
hodw

The same system has two WD drives which work perfectly

I am talking about 2 new drives not one out of a million

Hod

Old July 21st 06, 07:31 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
hodw

Yes I learned not to buy another MAXTOR even if my life depended on it.
Now that I think aout it ... if my life depended on it is am already
lost.

Hod

Old July 21st 06, 10:00 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Odie

hodw wrote:

I advise all of you with maxtor 120GB or 160GB drives to immediatly
backup your data and buy new drives from other companies.

In the last 9 months I had two new maxtor drives fail without warning.
The same system has drives from other companies which work pefectly.
The money and data loss was much more that buying a new drive.

Also their RMA system and costumer support are really bad.

Hod

I'm not necessarily of the opinion that a Maxtor drive is necessarily
*that* much more badly manufactured than, say, Western Digital or some
others. However, they *do* have a high propensity to overheat, and
appear to be far more susceptible to failure caused by overheating.

Much as I dislike the drives myself (albeit they are good for business)
I do actually use some on a regular basis within the organisation
(mainly to keep as spares for recoveries) but they are efficiently
cooled and never run more than about 3deg C above ambient temperatures.

Odie
--
Retrodata
www.retrodata.co.uk
Old July 21st 06, 10:29 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

Previously hodw wrote:
The same system has two WD drives which work perfectly

I am talking about 2 new drives not one out of a million

Just saying that your conclusion is suspect. Its elementary
statistics, plus the fact that mistreated Maxtor disks die fast,
while well treated ones are pretty reliable.

Arno

Old July 21st 06, 05:29 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
CWatters

"hodw" wrote in message
oups.com...
The same system has two WD drives which work perfectly

My system has had two WD drives fail in it.

Old July 21st 06, 11:24 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Folkert Rienstra

"Odie" wrote in message
hodw wrote:

[...]

Ah right, you run them on a daily basis so you can keep tabs on them
so that when you need them you know they will actually be working.