Acceptable Temperatures

Old April 22nd 06, 01:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Default Acceptable Temperatures

Hello,

Could someone please advise me what the maximum acceptable temperatures
should be for both CPU and MB.
I currently have 57c (CPU) and 41c (MB) and I'm not sure whether to get
another fan in my case.

Many Thanks

Paul

Old April 22nd 06, 01:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

-- Paul -- wrote:
Hello,

Could someone please advise me what the maximum acceptable
temperatures should be for both CPU and MB.
I currently have 57c (CPU) and 41c (MB) and I'm not sure whether to
get another fan in my case.

Many Thanks

Paul

Depends on which ones you have. My Intel 630 is sitting at that now not
under any load. I use Intel Desktop Control Center to manually kick in
second fan and it kicks it down a bit.

Old April 22nd 06, 02:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

"John" wrote in message
-- Paul -- wrote:
Hello,

Could someone please advise me what the maximum acceptable
temperatures should be for both CPU and MB.
I currently have 57c (CPU) and 41c (MB) and I'm not sure whether to
get another fan in my case.

Many Thanks

Paul

Depends on which ones you have. My Intel 630 is sitting at that now not
under any load. I use Intel Desktop Control Center to manually kick in
second fan and it kicks it down a bit.

I have a 3200 64bit Athlon on a Asus K8V SE deluxe.

Old April 22nd 06, 02:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

-- Paul -- wrote:
"John" wrote in message
-- Paul -- wrote:
Hello,

Could someone please advise me what the maximum acceptable
temperatures should be for both CPU and MB.
I currently have 57c (CPU) and 41c (MB) and I'm not sure whether to
get another fan in my case.

Many Thanks

Paul

Depends on which ones you have. My Intel 630 is sitting at that now
not under any load. I use Intel Desktop Control Center to manually
kick in second fan and it kicks it down a bit.

I have a 3200 64bit Athlon on a Asus K8V SE deluxe.

Maybe the manufacturer has an application like the IDCC. Otherwise I would
not worry. There are benchmark application that you can DL. Learning how to
use them would show you what you need I would imagine.

HTH

Old April 22nd 06, 09:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

"-- Paul --" wrote in message
Hello,

Could someone please advise me what the maximum acceptable temperatures
should be for both CPU and MB.
I currently have 57c (CPU) and 41c (MB) and I'm not sure whether to get
another fan in my case.

Many Thanks

Paul

those temps are nothing to really worry about but since running components
cooler helps prolong their life I would aim to drop them by 10 degrees.
those temps are about what I got when I just had the CPU cooler and PSU
fans. adding a case fan below the PSU to extract air from the case dropped
my temps by about 10 degrees.

Old April 22nd 06, 09:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Sleepy wrote:
"-- Paul --" wrote in message
Hello,

Could someone please advise me what the maximum acceptable
temperatures should be for both CPU and MB.
I currently have 57c (CPU) and 41c (MB) and I'm not sure whether to
get another fan in my case.

Many Thanks

Paul

those temps are nothing to really worry about but since running
components cooler helps prolong their life I would aim to drop them
by 10 degrees. those temps are about what I got when I just had the
CPU cooler and PSU fans. adding a case fan below the PSU to extract
air from the case dropped my temps by about 10 degrees.

True. I just noticed that I have had a second fan turned on since this post
started and the CPU temp has dropped 12 degrees. I left the CPU fan itself
set to auto(1200RPM). I imagine if I boosted that up the temp would drop
even more and these are stock fans. Helps to have a cool case also.

Old April 22nd 06, 11:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 13:22:33 +0100, "-- Paul --"
wrote:

Hello,

Could someone please advise me what the maximum acceptable temperatures
should be for both CPU and MB.
I currently have 57c (CPU) and 41c (MB) and I'm not sure whether to get
another fan in my case.

Many Thanks

Paul

They are well below any damage zone. The issue is then
stability and lifespan. Each individual specimen of chip
can have it's own variations in max temp it can run but
almost always (unless overclocking) those temps are low
enough below the typical threshold for instability... so
mainly be concerned if system started crashing, or that you
can't let a lot of dust build up the closer you are to
65-70C. Adding fans to chassis "IF" they aren't needed can
accelerate dust accumulation so a balance must be struck.

HOWEVER, these parts are meant to run warm and their
lifespan at elevated temps is typically longer than other
parts. Be concerned about the hard drives, motherboard and
PSU capacitor temps if you think the case doesn't have
enough airflow.

You didn't define what you are considering full load so we
can only assume the temp is the highest possible, AND that
it's seen in a relatively near-to-max ambient room temp. In
other words, if your room is expected to get 10c higher in
the peak of summer than when the measurements were taken, or
in winter if near a heat duct, then the 57C temp becomes
too close to an instable region @ 67C, as ambient temp rise
does tend to directly raise the other temps as well if/when
all else remains equal.
Old April 23rd 06, 12:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

The maximum safe temp for an Intel CPU is 70 degrees under load.

--
DaveW

----------------

Old April 23rd 06, 11:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

wrote in message
ups.com...

-- Paul -- wrote:
Hello,

Could someone please advise me what the maximum acceptable temperatures
should be for both CPU and MB.
I currently have 57c (CPU) and 41c (MB) and I'm not sure whether to get
another fan in my case.

Many Thanks

Paul

An Athlon won't die till it hits 85c or 90c. It's not STABLE above 70c.
A pentium has lower tolerances. You should check the specs on both your
motherboard and CPU.

That said, I'd be more comfortable if you would try to get that CPU
near 40-50 at most. Or cooler.

Thanks for you help guys.

Old April 23rd 06, 03:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 22:08:29 GMT, kony wrote:

I currently have 57c (CPU) and 41c (MB)

They are well below any damage zone.

When I see a large difference between the CPU and the MB temps, it's
because of dirt in the heat sink. After I clean the heatsink, the temp
difference is a couple degrees at most.

I am tempted to get a piece of non-conducting foam that is maybe an
inch larger than the heat fan assy and hollow it out like a mitten.
Then I could slide it over the fan assy so that it would filter the
air flowing over the heat sink. As long as I monitor the CPU temp, I
would not be concerned with this homemade filter clogging.

--

"A politician's neck should always have a noose around it.
It keeps him upright."