How to fully utilize a Quad Core? A Duo Core would/could suffice?

Old June 14th 08, 05:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
-Lost

Default How to fully utilize a Quad Core? A Duo Core would/could suffice? Thanks!

Response to "-Lost" :

snip

This is my first venture into anything beyond a single-core and I
am VERY hesitant to blow cash on something I will never fully
utilize.

Care to shed any light, please? Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for shedding some light on the subject.

Basically only a serious multitasker would utilize a quad system. I
don't think that will be a problem, but overall budget might.

I'd hate to have a screaming system with onboard sound and half as
much video card as I'd like.

Thanks again, all!

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old June 15th 08, 09:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

Default How to fully utilize a Quad Core? A Duo Core would/could suffice?

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 23:16:55 -0500, "-Lost"
wrote:

Response to John McGaw :

snip

I started mentally adding up the approximate costs of the software
packages you named and before I finished I decided that anyone who
can afford that much software should be able to afford at least a
quad-core processor on which to run it.

Don't be fooled friend. I am a student. Adobe Suite CS3 for about
$200 and Maya for $300.

Ok, and these are only two of the apps, factor for all of
them and that is quite an expense relative to $100 either
way on a CPU.

That and the spouse utilizes the same programs so it was a much easier
purchase.

Nothing wrong with that, but his point was contextual that
if you have the budget to spend on the software then your
total computing budget seems high enough that trying to save
a bit on a dual core CPU vs quad core is lower % of total
budget reduction than it would be for some other people.