Epox 8K7A+ Northbridge mod gone wrong - help please

Old August 1st 03, 01:37 PM
Kath Stennett

Default Epox 8K7A+ Northbridge mod gone wrong - help please

The northbridge fan on this motherboard became very noisy and after a look
arounf the newsgroups I found that lots of people have had similar problems.
Some of them have removed the fans and successfully replaced them with a
heatsink.

We bought a Zalman Norhtbridge heatsink.

My son (who has some previous experience with building PC's) has fitted it
this morning but I think something has gone wrong!

He removed the fan and installed the heatsink with the adhesive as
instructed. But when he reboots the computer the motherboard "screams". He
says it sounds just like someone screaming! The boot indicator lights say FF
(boot attempt).

He has a remperature probe in his case and says that neither the CPU nor the
Northbridge appear to be getting hotter than usual.

Is the Mobo trashed or is there something we can do?

Kath

Old August 1st 03, 10:02 PM
Kath Stennett

Yes, all back together OK I think ... I've had a look myself now too. And
we've checked the BIOS but theres no sign of a 'no fan' warning there.

Thanks anyway but I think its a goner! Oh well the fan was unbearbaluy noisy
so we had to try something ... new mobo now I guess

Kath

arthlink.net...

Old August 1st 03, 10:05 PM
spodosaurus

Kath Stennett wrote:
Yes, all back together OK I think ... I've had a look myself now too. And
we've checked the BIOS but theres no sign of a 'no fan' warning there.

Thanks anyway but I think its a goner! Oh well the fan was unbearbaluy noisy
so we had to try something ... new mobo now I guess

Is it the case speaker making the noise, or something else?

Kath

arthlink.net...

--

Are you registered as a bone marrow donor? You regenerate what you
donate. You are offered the chance to donate only if you match a person

spam trap: replace shyah_right! with hotmail when replying

Old August 2nd 03, 01:59 AM
Kath Stennett

No, Definately the Mobo, i powered it up with nothing and, i do mean
nothing, connected and it gave the same beep code etc, whereas it should
have given the no processor code...

"spodosaurus" wrote in message
Kath Stennett wrote:
Yes, all back together OK I think ... I've had a look myself now too.

And
we've checked the BIOS but theres no sign of a 'no fan' warning there.

Thanks anyway but I think its a goner! Oh well the fan was unbearbaluy

noisy
so we had to try something ... new mobo now I guess

Is it the case speaker making the noise, or something else?

Kath

arthlink.net...

Old August 2nd 03, 05:31 AM
Zypher

Wow! I replaced my NB fan, and its been fine since. (I located a bunch of
small fans and have several.)

--
Zyp

.. .

Kath Stennett wrote:
Yes, all back together OK I think ... I've had a look myself now too.

And
we've checked the BIOS but theres no sign of a 'no fan' warning there.

Thanks anyway but I think its a goner! Oh well the fan was unbearbaluy

noisy
so we had to try something ... new mobo now I guess

Is it the case speaker making the noise, or something else?

Kath

arthlink.net...