Acceptable Temperatures

Old April 23rd 06, 06:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Default Acceptable Temperatures

"Bob" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 22:08:29 GMT, kony wrote:

I currently have 57c (CPU) and 41c (MB)

They are well below any damage zone.

When I see a large difference between the CPU and the MB temps, it's
because of dirt in the heat sink. After I clean the heatsink, the temp
difference is a couple degrees at most.

I am tempted to get a piece of non-conducting foam that is maybe an
inch larger than the heat fan assy and hollow it out like a mitten.
Then I could slide it over the fan assy so that it would filter the
air flowing over the heat sink. As long as I monitor the CPU temp, I
would not be concerned with this homemade filter clogging.

--

"A politician's neck should always have a noose around it.
It keeps him upright."

I wouldnt do ANYTHING that may restrict air flowing through the heatsink
Bob. If you have an intake fan on the front of the case by all means use a
foam filter to trap dust there (like Antec do with their cases) but leave
the CPU cooler as clear as possible. I get by with using a vac occasionally
to clear dust out of my case but thats maybe twice a year and only because
Im fussy

If you need to do it more frequent I'd look at vaccing the house more often!

Old April 24th 06, 02:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 14:34:37 GMT, (Bob) wrote:

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 22:08:29 GMT, kony wrote:

I currently have 57c (CPU) and 41c (MB)

They are well below any damage zone.

When I see a large difference between the CPU and the MB temps, it's
because of dirt in the heat sink. After I clean the heatsink, the temp
difference is a couple degrees at most.

1) It depends on what is being measured as the
"motherboard" or "system" temp. Some boards have discrete
sensors that are simply mounted to the board, others are
integral to a larger chip which may produce more or less
heat (density, and better or worse cooling itself), and
finally, some boards have more than one secondary thermal
feedback sensors, the one being reported is only a function
of how the reading (software) was set up).

2) At idle the two temps may be closer, even as close as
you saw. At full load, the CPU has a much higher change in
temp, most systems will not have the CPU temp within a few
degrees of so-called system or MB temp near a true full load
condition.

I am tempted to get a piece of non-conducting foam that is maybe an
inch larger than the heat fan assy and hollow it out like a mitten.
Then I could slide it over the fan assy so that it would filter the
air flowing over the heat sink. As long as I monitor the CPU temp, I
would not be concerned with this homemade filter clogging.

Non-conductive foam is any foam actually, the typical
varieties found almost everywhere don't conduct. If you
meant ESD rated foam, don't use it, because it is specially
treated so it _does_ conduct (only slightly, but any degree
of conduction is an unnecessary and possibly negative
quality of it).

There are filter panels that screw onto standard fan frames
though, if you had a standard fan instead of one of those
proprietary ones. It may be unnecessary though, ideally the
entire case would be filtered and that is enough, usually,
but with the entire case filtered it can mean larger filter
panels are used so they take longer to clog up and the
service interval is extended.
Old April 24th 06, 03:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

"-- Paul --" wrote in message
Hello,

Could someone please advise me what the maximum acceptable temperatures
should be for both CPU and MB.
I currently have 57c (CPU) and 41c (MB) and I'm not sure whether to get
another fan in my case.

Many Thanks

Paul

Personally those temps would be alarming, but then my system is water
cooled. CPU Type DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2417 MHz (12 x 201) 4800+
=30c

MB ASUS A8N-E=34c Aux=33c

GPU ATI Radeon X850 XT Platinum (R480) =36c
GPU Ambient=45c

10k Raptors at 31&32c

Luck;
Ken

Old April 24th 06, 04:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

"Ken Maltby" wrote in message
news

"-- Paul --" wrote in message
Hello,

Could someone please advise me what the maximum acceptable temperatures
should be for both CPU and MB.
I currently have 57c (CPU) and 41c (MB) and I'm not sure whether to get
another fan in my case.

Many Thanks

Paul

Personally those temps would be alarming, but then my system is water
cooled. CPU Type DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2417 MHz (12 x 201) 4800+
=30c

MB ASUS A8N-E=34c Aux=33c

GPU ATI Radeon X850 XT Platinum (R480) =36c
GPU Ambient=45c

10k Raptors at 31&32c

Luck;
Ken