System Rebooting

Old January 25th 06, 09:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Default System Rebooting

Hello,

Not sure if this is a hardware problem or a software problem, but hopefully
someone can help me anyway.

I've got a Compaq Deskpro running Windows 2000 Pro. When I boot the machine
it gets past the Windows 2000 logo screen, then to the dialog box which says
Windows 2000 is starting, then says applying security policy. At this
point, the PC restarts again. The process cycles like this indefinetley and
I cannot logon.

When I try to boot into safe mode, the same thing happens.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Paul

Old January 25th 06, 10:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Have you added any new hardware or installed new software lately? I added a
USB external HD recently and got the same - I simply unplugged it before
rebooting and it booted fine. At the very least unplug all unnecessary
peripherals and try again.

Old January 25th 06, 11:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

wrote in message
Have you added any new hardware or installed new software lately? I added
a USB external HD recently and got the same - I simply unplugged it before
rebooting and it booted fine. At the very least unplug all unnecessary
peripherals and try again.

No new hardware added, but I believe the software to connect up to a new ISP
was added recently installed (this is my dad's PC). The setup worked fine
as the new connection worked.
There are no usb devices attached and no unnecessary peripherals. Thanks
for you help though.

Anyone else have any idea plz?

Old January 25th 06, 05:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

In article , "-- Paul --"
wrote:

wrote in message
Have you added any new hardware or installed new software lately? I added
a USB external HD recently and got the same - I simply unplugged it before
rebooting and it booted fine. At the very least unplug all unnecessary
peripherals and try again.

No new hardware added, but I believe the software to connect up to a new ISP
was added recently installed (this is my dad's PC). The setup worked fine
as the new connection worked.
There are no usb devices attached and no unnecessary peripherals. Thanks
for you help though.

Anyone else have any idea plz?

Post this in alt.comp.virus ?

Maybe someone over there will recognize the symptoms.

Paul