Quad Xeon HT + Win2k Server

Old August 8th 03, 03:27 AM
David Schwartz

Default Quad Xeon HT + Win2k Server

"klerck" wrote in message

Hi, my apologies if this has been beaten to death already...

Someone I know recently upgraded a work system his company was using to

HT-
enabled Quad Xeons. After telling me about it, I became curious: If you

are
using a quad Xeon system that is HT-enabled and you're running Win2k
Server, does the OS hit the 4 processor limit after seeing two HT-enabled
processors as 4 separate processors, or does it ignore HT and just use the
4 processors alone?

Unfortunately, I have no way for him to test this because he went out of
town for a while, so I turn my question to you people.

Windows 2000 does not understand HT, so it will just grab the first
processors it sees up to its licensed limit. If your license limit is four
processors, it's best to disable HT in the BIOS to make sure you get the
four physical processors.

Ideally, the BIOS will list the primary logical processor for each
physical processor before listing any other logical processors. So if you
enable HT, Windows 2000 grabbing the first four listed processors should
still result in it grabbing all four physical processors. But this assumes
the BIOS uses the ordering Microsoft recommends.

So the answer, for Windows 2000, is that it could do one of those two
things, but to make sure it ignores additional logical processors in the
same physical processor, you should disable HT. If you have more licensed
processors than physical processors, you should enable HT.

DS