Replacement hard drive for Dell Inspiron 1420?

Old August 11th 15, 11:54 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Alan[_3_]

Default Replacement hard drive for Dell Inspiron 1420?

I have a 2007 Dell Inspiron laptop 1420 which still has its uses. I
have been looking for a new HD, but it has an odd connector. Rather
than the usual flat connector with horizontal contacts, these are
vertical contacts that drop down in the laptop connector, rather than
sliding in sideways. I have taken the old drive to two good local
repair shops, and the response in both cases was that they had never
seen anything like that. Dell does list a replacement for about
$450. This is probably one of those proprietary pieces of hardware
which Dell used to use. Anybody know a good, knowledgeable source of
vintage Dell parts?

--
Alan
Old August 11th 15, 12:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
ps56k[_3_]

On 8/11/2015 5:54 AM, Alan wrote:
I have a 2007 Dell Inspiron laptop 1420 which still has its uses. I
have been looking for a new HD, but it has an odd connector. Rather
than the usual flat connector with horizontal contacts, these are
vertical contacts that drop down in the laptop connector, rather than
sliding in sideways. I have taken the old drive to two good local
repair shops, and the response in both cases was that they had never
seen anything like that. Dell does list a replacement for about
$450. This is probably one of those proprietary pieces of hardware
which Dell used to use. Anybody know a good, knowledgeable source of
vintage Dell parts?

--
Alan

what's the label on the drive say.... Vendor + Model ?

all drives are standard...older legacy IDE or newer ATA.
The connector is probably a Dell adapter
that is plugged into the normal drive edge connector,
and maybe you just don't notice it.

Old August 11th 15, 12:56 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
ps56k[_3_]

On 8/11/2015 6:51 AM, ps56k wrote:
On 8/11/2015 5:54 AM, Alan wrote:
[...]

Google for Dell 1420 drive ?
looks like a normal ATA drive - any ATA drive should work...

Old August 11th 15, 03:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

Sometimes there's an adapter that looks like part
of the HD but actually separates, leaving you with
a standard HD.

I think the Vostro 1400 has that, if I'm
remembering right.

Old August 11th 15, 04:21 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob_Villa

On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 9:14:23 AM UTC-5, Ron Hardin wrote:
Sometimes there's an adapter that looks like part
of the HD but actually separates, leaving you with
a standard HD.

I think the Vostro 1400 has that, if I'm
remembering right.

Agree, and I would be leery of "professionals" that didn't recognize that...
Old August 11th 15, 06:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Steve W.[_4_]

Alan wrote:
I have a 2007 Dell Inspiron laptop 1420 which still has its uses. I
have been looking for a new HD, but it has an odd connector. Rather
than the usual flat connector with horizontal contacts, these are
vertical contacts that drop down in the laptop connector, rather than
sliding in sideways. I have taken the old drive to two good local
repair shops, and the response in both cases was that they had never
seen anything like that. Dell does list a replacement for about
$450. This is probably one of those proprietary pieces of hardware
which Dell used to use. Anybody know a good, knowledgeable source of
vintage Dell parts?

--
Alan

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1024_.jpg

Connector that adapts SATA to the 1420...

--
Steve W.
Old August 11th 15, 07:38 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Alan[_3_]

All,

Feeling a bit sheepish, but there is indeed a standard connector
buried under the adapter. I feel very slightly less stupid since he
"professionals" did not get it. Only slightly. Thanks

Alan

--
Alan