KBD, Mouse won't work

Old June 25th 15, 05:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Steve Urbach

Default KBD, Mouse won't work

On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 01:48:29 +0000 (UTC), Boris wrote:

Ben Myers wrote in
:

On Monday, June 22, 2015 at 11:18:25 AM UTC-4, Boris wrote:
I've got a Dell Precision 390 running WinXP, with a wired Dell
keyboard, an ethernet connection, and a wireless nano MSFT mouse. I
use it in my garage, and it's been running fine for a long time.

Yesterday I decided to clean out the entire garage and move the
machine to another location in the garage. I unhooked everything,
and a day later, I reconnected everything, but...

The machine boots up, says found new optical mouse, human interface
device...and then the Found New Hardware Wizard appears, with the
three selections, but, neither the arrow keys on the kbd or the mouse
will make the mouse arrow on the screen move. Everytime I
reboot/start, the same thing happens.

F2 gets me to Startup, and F12 gets me Boot Selections, and in both
of these screens, the kbd works fine, and all settings look fine.
When I ESC/Exit out of either of these screens, the desktop loads up,
and repeats found new hardware...but still no input device works.

CTRL/Alt/Del doesn't work, NUMLOCK doesn't work, CAPS Lock doesn't
work...

F8 won't get me into Safe Mode

Could I have knocked something inside the machine loose while moving
that would cause this? Others had used the machine before moving,
and perhaps it has malware that I don't know about. I didn't load it
up immediately before the move. The move is from one side of the
garage to the other side.

Any ideas?

TIA - I hope this ng is still read by you guys. I haven't seen a new
post since mid-May.

Possibly replace batteries in mouse?

Did that.
Or try a wired mouse,
temporarily and as a test.

Did that.

Examine USB ports. Plug keyboard into other USB ports. Try another
keyboard?

Did that and that and that.

This does seem like an odd one... Ben Myers

Yep.

Since the KYBD works for the BIOS
Change the setting for support for Legacy USB devices

Have you tried booting from the Windows install CD? Does that work?
Old June 25th 15, 05:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

Steve Urbach wrote in
:

On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 01:48:29 +0000 (UTC), Boris
wrote:

Ben Myers wrote in
:

[...]

I will try that.

Have you tried booting from the Windows install CD? Does that work?

Will try that, too.

Thanks