2200+ XP bridge query

Old December 24th 04, 10:30 PM
Gary

Default 2200+ XP bridge query

I've been given one and would like to install it in my ABIT KR7A
motherboard. The motherboard BIOS doesn't support it, but there is a fix
shown he
http://www.sudhian.com/showfaqs.cfm?fid=7&fcid=16

However, looking at the chip, the L1 bridges are not there (open circuit)
and I know it hasn't been modified by anyone. Was there a later version with
the bridges removed? Advice much appreciated.

Regards
Gary

Old December 25th 04, 05:20 AM
Wes Newell

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 22:30:36 +0000, Gary wrote:

I've been given one and would like to install it in my ABIT KR7A
motherboard. The motherboard BIOS doesn't support it, but there is a fix
shown he
http://www.sudhian.com/showfaqs.cfm?fid=7&fcid=16

However, looking at the chip, the L1 bridges are not there (open circuit)
and I know it hasn't been modified by anyone. Was there a later version with
the bridges removed? Advice much appreciated.

The bridges are underneath the substrate and are not visible. They are
there. Forget the crap you see in the above link and don't go cutting
bridges on the cpu. It's not needed. To know what to do, you need to know
the model of the 2200+ you have and also if it's multiplier locked or not.
The 2200+ comes in 2 completely different cores, Tbred A core, and Tbred B
core. The A core is limited in speed to about 1900MHz, and the B core will
top out around 2400Mhz, so there's quite a difference. The default
speed of both is 1800MHz (13.5x133). Defualt vcore also varies, so that's
just something else you should know. You can get all this info from the
CPU label. This would be a Tbred A core cpu:
AXDA2200DKV3C
B core cpu's will have varying voltages but one such PN would be
AXDA2200DUT3C.

If you're in a hurry, just clear cmos, plug it in and see if it will boot.
Otherwise, send ALL th4e info on the cpu label so someone can be sure of
what cpu you have, and can then outline what you need to do, as it will
differ depending on the cpu. In the mean time, it would be wise to read
the link below so you can understand some of this.

Old December 25th 04, 12:21 PM
Gary

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2004.12.25.05.24.21.374230@TAKEOUTverizon .net...

The bridges are underneath the substrate and are not visible.

Now that I've looked in daylight and a magnifying glass I can *just* discern
the outline of bridges within the substrate. FWIW, I'm used to working with
surface mount components, so am used to 'delicate surgery'.

Forget the crap you see in the above link and don't go cutting
bridges on the cpu. It's not needed.

It's a Tbred A core cpu.

If you're in a hurry, just clear cmos, plug it in and see if it will boot.
Otherwise, send ALL th4e info on the cpu label so someone can be sure of
what cpu you have, and can then outline what you need to do

Many thanks for the info thus far :-)

Old December 25th 04, 04:14 PM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 12:21:37 +0000, Gary wrote:

It's a Tbred A core cpu.

Then the easiest thing to do would be to cut all the L1 bridges and lock
the multiplier at 13.5. From there, yoiu can up the FSB a little, but the
cpu will max out pretty soon. IOW's, I wouldn't even worry about the
little extra you might get with it.

Old December 25th 04, 06:09 PM
Gary

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2004.12.25.16.18.32.387446@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 12:21:37 +0000, Gary wrote:

Then the easiest thing to do would be to cut all the L1 bridges and lock
the multiplier at 13.5. From there, yoiu can up the FSB a little, but the
cpu will max out pretty soon. IOW's, I wouldn't even worry about the
little extra you might get with it.

Thanks, just to clarify, even though I've posted this query here (I couldn't
find another AMD Usenet NG on my ISP's news server) I'm not that concerned
presently with overclocking potential, just to get it working on the ABIT
KR7A motherboard, as it's not supported as is.

I've seen the video on the Tom's Hardware Guide site, I assume that's still
the recommended way to achieve bridge removal, although I'm sure I can
remove that imbedded substrate bridge without any ill effects using a craft
knife - unless there's someone deeper within the substrate which should not
be touched?

Regards
Gary

Old December 25th 04, 10:07 PM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 18:09:40 +0000, Gary wrote:

I've seen the video on the Tom's Hardware Guide site, I assume that's still
the recommended way to achieve bridge removal, although I'm sure I can
remove that imbedded substrate bridge without any ill effects using a craft
knife - unless there's someone deeper within the substrate which should not
be touched?

There's a ground plane not too far down. I hacked my original 1600+
Palomino with a pocket knife the first time all the way down to it, and
it didn't hurt anything. Didn't need to go near that deep though.:-)

Old December 25th 04, 10:09 PM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 18:09:40 +0000, Gary wrote:

I've seen the video on the Tom's Hardware Guide site, I assume that's still
the recommended way to achieve bridge removal, although I'm sure I can
remove that imbedded substrate bridge without any ill effects using a craft
knife - unless there's someone deeper within the substrate which should not
be touched?

Just look at some of the small laser cuts amd did. Should have mentioned
this first.

Old December 26th 04, 08:07 PM
Gary

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2004.12.25.22.11.39.655977@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 18:09:40 +0000, Gary wrote:

There's a ground plane not too far down. I hacked my original 1600+
Palomino with a pocket knife the first time all the way down to it, and
it didn't hurt anything. Didn't need to go near that deep though.:-)

Thanks :-)