Dvorak Likes Linux

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 20th 09, 12:27 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Jan Panteltje

Default MS has at least support from vendors, and does not use stupid modules that need kernel recompiles from source all the time.

On a sunny day (Thu, 19 Mar 2009 16:45:32 -0700) it happened
(Nate Edel) wrote in :

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips Jan Panteltje wrote:
As far as I have been able to try on other win systems, the soft that
comes with stuff I buy is not bad at all, one more reason to want it to
run. The windows scanner software that came with the Canon scanner I
have, is excellent, if not simply amazing, it came with a character
recognition suite too. There is a lot more. No driver for that scanner
in Linux as of last time I looked, forget about useful programs for it.

Did you even try SANE? Their support for recent Canon scanners isn't super,
but it's not awful:

Yes I know, but no support for the Canoscan 3000 I have.
A great scanner, last one that did not use LEDs ?

http://www.sane-project.org/cgi-bin/driver.pl?bus=usb
Several distros include this OOTB.

For that matter, there are a couple of free/open source OCR packages.

uche
I have tried 3, but long time ago. Compiling reading docs, bad results.
The Canon stuff just worked in Win 98, all I had to do was click,
and remember what icon it was on the desktop :-)

smh likes fat chicks! Justin Cdr 0 May 25th 06 03:55 PM
Making a Hard-Wired Dvorak Keyboard. [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 1 April 6th 06 09:01 PM
LINDA WEST (925) 876-7441 of CHIPMAN UNITED VAN LINES likes to commit Fraud & Forgery and she likes to put peoples names on moving contracts with out there Knowledge.Caton Mayflower Moving & Storage Dublin,ca & concord,ca (925) 876-7441, 925-887-5515 [email protected] General 0 October 11th 05 08:17 AM
New 512MB memory only likes slot 1? Tom General 1 January 23rd 05 11:36 PM
I would like help with a problem with my PC - reboots when it likes Sharon Asus Motherboards 2 June 28th 04 05:57 AM