Adapt IDE hdd to SATA plug

Old October 15th 12, 07:01 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
gemelli47

Default Adapt IDE hdd to SATA plug

Hello guys

I have a satellite receiver with built-in plug to connect a SATA hdd:
The plug is female and of course transmits both data/power supply.

Now, I wonder if there is some adapter to connect an IDE hdd instead.

I would avoid spending money for a SATA, as I have a number of IDE
hdds.

Thanks for any feedback

Old October 16th 12, 03:47 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno[_3_]

gemelli47 wrote:

Hello guys

I have a satellite receiver with built-in plug to connect a SATA hdd:
The plug is female and of course transmits both data/power supply.

Now, I wonder if there is some adapter to connect an IDE hdd instead.

I would avoid spending money for a SATA, as I have a number of IDE
hdds.

Thanks for any feedback

They exixts, but are probably not worth the money. First, they
are notoriously unreliable. And second, smaller SATA disks are
check. You will also have trouble getting a converter that
converts power as well. I do not think there is one on the market.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email:
----
Old October 16th 12, 03:48 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mike S.

In article ,
gemelli47 wrote:

Hello guys

I have a satellite receiver with built-in plug to connect a SATA hdd:
The plug is female and of course transmits both data/power supply.

Now, I wonder if there is some adapter to connect an IDE hdd instead.

I would avoid spending money for a SATA, as I have a number of IDE
hdds.

Gajillions of such adaptors exist. Plenty on eBay, etc. In what part of the
world are you looking to buy one?

Old October 16th 12, 03:49 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mike S.

In article , Arno wrote:
gemelli47 wrote:

Hello guys

I have a satellite receiver with built-in plug to connect a SATA hdd:
The plug is female and of course transmits both data/power supply.

Now, I wonder if there is some adapter to connect an IDE hdd instead.

I would avoid spending money for a SATA, as I have a number of IDE
hdds.

Thanks for any feedback

They exixts, but are probably not worth the money. First, they
are notoriously unreliable. And second, smaller SATA disks are
check. You will also have trouble getting a converter that
converts power as well. I do not think there is one on the market.

The plug to convert the power connector is on the same pegboard at Micro
Center as the IDE-to-SATA PCB's.

Old October 16th 12, 06:10 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Timothy Daniels[_4_]

"gemelli47" asked:
I have a satellite receiver with built-in plug to connect a SATA hdd:
The plug is female and of course transmits both data/power supply.

Now, I wonder if there is some adapter to connect an IDE hdd instead.

I would avoid spending money for a SATA, as I have a number of IDE
hdds.

Lots of them are on the market. I bought the Vantec CB-IS100 at
Fry's Electronics here in the L.A. area for $13 + tax. Rather than spend
a lot of time transferring data files from my old PATA (IDE) HD to the new
SATA HD, I just put the old PATA HD into the new computer as a 2nd HD,
and the files are there to be referenced or transferred to the SATA HD or
archived to optical discs at my leisure. The adapter card has connectors
on one side that fit onto the PATA HD, and connectors on the other side
that fit the SATA data and power plugs, and it's all simple and painless.
I assume that the access time may be longer due to the extra interface
between the controller and the PATA HD, but it's inconsequential for
my purposes.

*TimDaniels*
Old October 16th 12, 11:09 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
rectifier

Arno wrote
gemelli47 wrote

I have a satellite receiver with built-in plug to connect a SATA hdd:
The plug is female and of course transmits both data/power supply.

Now, I wonder if there is some adapter to connect an IDE hdd instead.

I would avoid spending money for a SATA, as I have a number of IDE hdds.

They exixts, but are probably not worth the money.

That’s completely silly. They cost peanuts.

First, they are notoriously unreliable.

Bull****.

And second, smaller SATA disks are check.

Clearly completely blotto, as always.

You will also have trouble getting a
converter that converts power as well.

Even sillier. You don’t need one.

I do not think there is one on the market.

Because you don’t need one.

Old October 17th 12, 03:26 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
miso

On 10/15/2012 11:01 AM, gemelli47 wrote:
Hello guys

I have a satellite receiver with built-in plug to connect a SATA hdd:
The plug is female and of course transmits both data/power supply.

Now, I wonder if there is some adapter to connect an IDE hdd instead.

I would avoid spending money for a SATA, as I have a number of IDE
hdds.

Thanks for any feedback

Just get a sata drive. Any IDE drive is probably due for a failure.

Old October 17th 12, 03:22 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
gemelli47[_3_]

miso;1359679 Wrote:
On 10/15/2012 11:01 AM, gemelli47 wrote:
Hello guys

I have a satellite receiver with built-in plug to connect a SATA hdd:
The plug is female and of course transmits both data/power supply.

Now, I wonder if there is some adapter to connect an IDE hdd instead.

I would avoid spending money for a SATA, as I have a number of IDE
hdds.

Thanks for any feedback

Just get a sata drive. Any IDE drive is probably due for a failure.

Thanks, but will investigate further

Old October 17th 12, 03:30 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
gemelli47[_2_]

Mike S.;1359665 Wrote:
In article ,
gemelli47 wrote:

Hello guys

I have a satellite receiver with built-in plug to connect a SATA hdd:
The plug is female and of course transmits both data/power supply.

Now, I wonder if there is some adapter to connect an IDE hdd instead.

I would avoid spending money for a SATA, as I have a number of IDE
hdds.

Gajillions of such adaptors exist. Plenty on eBay, etc. In what part of
the
world are you looking to buy one?

Right on ebay, but It seems there are no plain ones, with no need of an
external power supply.
Can you suggest any?

Old October 17th 12, 03:32 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
gemelli47[_4_]

Mike S.;1359666 Wrote:
In article , Arno
wrote:
gemelli47 wrote:

Hello guys

I have a satellite receiver with built-in plug to connect a SATA

hdd:
The plug is female and of course transmits both data/power supply.

Now, I wonder if there is some adapter to connect an IDE hdd

instead.

I would avoid spending money for a SATA, as I have a number of IDE
hdds.

Thanks for any feedback

They exixts, but are probably not worth the money. First, they
are notoriously unreliable. And second, smaller SATA disks are
check. You will also have trouble getting a converter that
converts power as well. I do not think there is one on the market.

The plug to convert the power connector is on the same pegboard at
Micro
Center as the IDE-to-SATA PCB's.

Both data and power should be transmitted.