Overclock P4P800 with P4 3.2

Old December 22nd 03, 01:50 AM
Marathon

Default Overclock P4P800 with P4 3.2

How fast should I safely try to overclock this system?
Real new at this just having fun but use the system for work and need to be
safe.
MB allows 5% 10 % etc.
1 gig memory is 2 sticks of 512 2700
have it at 5% now and it seems fine.Have seen temp go up to 117 though. Is
that OK?
Need any different voltage settings or anything?
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old December 22nd 03, 03:28 AM
Ken Fox

"Marathon" wrote in message
ink.net...
How fast should I safely try to overclock this system?
Real new at this just having fun but use the system for work and need to

be
safe.
MB allows 5% 10 % etc.
1 gig memory is 2 sticks of 512 2700
have it at 5% now and it seems fine.Have seen temp go up to 117 though.

Is
that OK?
Need any different voltage settings or anything?
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I'm a newbie at this stuff too, but I think you need to consider a few
things.

(1) The "AI" overclocker in the P4P800 Bios is basically worthless, so stop
thinking in round numbers like 5%, 10%, 20%, etc. I tried the AI
overclocker and it did not work at all for me. From what I've read it does
nothing but push up the FSB. Probably, at minimum, you will need to fiddle
with both the FSB speed and the Vcore voltage to get the system to work well
even with a fairly minimal OC like 15%.

(2) The components, e.g. memory and processor, that you have selected are
not optimally balanced. PC2700 DDR memory is rated at 333MHz, whereas your
processor, a 3.2GHz 800 FSB P4, is capable of communicating with the memory
at 400MHz at stock rating. The mobo will default to 333 rather than 400 at
stock settings. It would probably have been better to have purchased PC3200
RAM at a minimum, especially if your intention is to overclock. I'm sure
that some others here can tell you how to make the best of the situation by
setting your memory timings and ratio. It might help if you were more
specific about exactly which brand and type of PC2700 RAM you bought as it
might help others here, more knowledgeable than I am, to guide you down the
right path.

(3) If you are using this for work, as you suggest, I think you need to be
very careful not to push it too far, so you should go on the conservative
side of things, probably a couple of notches (rather than one notch) below
where the system either starts making errors, or becomes unstable.

Do a google for "memtest86" This freeware program, which is used to make a
self-booting floppy, can be used to test the stability of your system at the
overclocked setting you are testing. The program runs infinitely, with each
"pass" representing a series of tests. According to included documentation,
all but the most esoteric errors will show up in 1 pass; for your use most
probably you should run at least 4 passes (without errors) to be sure the
system is error free at your overclocked speed. Be sure to go into the bios
first and disable "legacy USB support" or Memtest86 will hang midway through
your first pass, which will have nothing to do with your RAM or processor
but rather to do with the limitations of this simple test program, as
written. You can re-enable legacy USB support in the bios after you run
your testing.

Keep an eye on the temperature of the processor and the mobo (use Asus
Probe, the program that ships with the mobo on the CDR) as very high temps
(ask others here what is "too" high) could indicate a problem requiring
either better cooling (probably impractical for a mission critical business
computer) or that you ratchet back the overclocking a notch.

Getting back to your question, and not having experience with the 3.2GHz P4,
I'd suggest a conservative person using a machine as you plan to (for
business) would probably keep the OCing to below 25%, more likely around
15%, unless it becomes clear that your processor is unusually stable and
cool in the box you have it mounted in. You might get just as much benefit
running it at stock/default settings and changing your RAM over to PC3200.

Good luck, hope others here have better suggestions.

ken

Old December 22nd 03, 03:45 AM
Marathon

Thanks Ken.

Had the memory on my old Mobo, a P4PE.

Appreciate any advice on what memory to buy and will just go get it.

My 2700 is CL 2.5, and beyond that do not know brand etc..

Hope someone can suggest the specific settings and steps I need to make to
get a conservative yet beneficial overclock.

Thanks in advance.

"Ken Fox" wrote in message
ink.net...

Old December 22nd 03, 06:21 AM
katt33

Marathon wrote:
How fast should I safely try to overclock this system?
Real new at this just having fun but use the system for work and need to be
safe.
MB allows 5% 10 % etc.
1 gig memory is 2 sticks of 512 2700
have it at 5% now and it seems fine.Have seen temp go up to 117 though. Is
that OK?

1. 117 Idle or under heavy load?
If idle, that's a bit warm.
If Under heavy load, that's an ok temp. That is if your using
Hyperthreading in full.
3.2? You should be able to
get 3.6 GHz maybe a little more give or take, without a vcore boost.
Around 400 - 500 MHz over without a change in vcore, if you try
further, then you may need to push a little more into the vcore.
1.550 Volts or so, it don't seem like much I know, but it can mean the
difference between stable or not.
The normal vcore is 1.525 Volts.
If you play with the vcore, try NOT to go Over 1.6 Volts, or at least
not without some other way of cooling.
Please Note, much over 1.550 may already be pushing it.
Always keep an eye on your temps, most times the P4 won't overheat,
but sometimes when overclocking that feature don't work the way that it
should, and you could end up frying the CPU, most times it just shuts
it's self down, and the system freezes.

2. Video, how much Video ram does your card have, and what kind of card
is it?
If it has a Radeon 9000 & up, some of those can take 71 MHz & up, but
don't push it too far too fast. 1 MHz at a time, then test to see how
much the Video Card can do.
It's also a good idea to mod the heck out of the Video Card to keep it
cooler.
64Megs or more should be good here.
1 gig memory is 2 sticks of 512 2700

You may have to play with this for a while, the more you have that can
get unstable. One stick of memory is easier to overclock, but you may be
able to get a stable overclock. You just have to play around and see
what works.
Need any different voltage settings or anything?
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Later :-)
katt (Male)

Old December 22nd 03, 12:29 PM
Strontium

-
katt33 stood up at show-n-tell, in , and
said:

snip

Later :-)
katt (Male)

LOL! :P~~~~

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Old December 22nd 03, 01:58 PM
Marathon

Vid card is 128 mg ATI 9800 AIW.

Thanks!

"Strontium" wrote in message

-
katt33 stood up at show-n-tell, in ,

and
said:

snip

Later :-)
katt (Male)

LOL! :P~~~~

Old December 22nd 03, 09:57 PM
katt33

No Problem.

Marathon wrote:
Vid card is 128 mg ATI 9800 AIW.

And it would seem you got enough Video ram to do the job too.
Question, what kind of job do you have that they would need such a Sweet
system for?
katt :-)

Thanks!

"Strontium" wrote in message

-
katt33 stood up at show-n-tell, in ,

and

said:

snip

Later :-)
katt (Male)

LOL! :P~~~~

Old December 22nd 03, 10:04 PM
Marathon

My own business. Industrial commodities broker. Also I enjoy music, video
family pictures etc.
Extensive mp3s (6500)
Have many programs open at once, 2 modems for fax & voice messages.
Outlook, excel, PowerPoint, acrobat, winfax word, OLE, IE all always
running.

Hate a slow machine so just keep boosting it. It is my main business tool
and expense.

have the need for speed.

"katt33" wrote in message
No Problem.

"Strontium" wrote in message

-
katt33 stood up at show-n-tell, in ,

and

said:

snip

Later :-)
katt (Male)

LOL! :P~~~~

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

Old December 23rd 03, 03:34 AM
katt33

Marathon wrote:
My own business. Industrial commodities broker. Also I enjoy music, video
family pictures etc.
Extensive mp3s (6500)
Have many programs open at once, 2 modems for fax & voice messages.
Outlook, excel, PowerPoint, acrobat, winfax word, OLE, IE all always
running.

IE? You should be using netscape 7, it's better.
And when I do stuff like :-) it comes up like a smile face.
If I do It comes up as a smile face with a wink. + netscape freezes
up less as much as IE 6.0 or even newer.
If you like radio, netscape has a thing called
I hope you use a virus scaner, but if you don't. That is besides
Norton, goto
http://www.grisoft.com and download AVG free edition.
katt
also sometimes find me @ filetopia at support Overclockers_Chat
:-)

Hate a slow machine so just keep boosting it. It is my main business tool
and expense.

have the need for speed.

"katt33" wrote in message

No Problem.

"Strontium" wrote in message

-
katt33 stood up at show-n-tell, in ,

and

said:

snip

Later :-)
katt (Male)

LOL! :P~~~~

Old December 23rd 03, 02:22 PM
Marathon

O yeah,
Norton Virus scan & Firewall.

Muscicmatch radio is the one I use but thanks too comitted to the silly ie
sonce the days of Mosaic.
See you in the chat some time.

"katt33" wrote in message

Marathon wrote:
[...]

"katt33" wrote in message

No Problem.

Marathon wrote:

Vid card is 128 mg ATI 9800 AIW.

And it would seem you got enough Video ram to do the job too.
Question, what kind of job do you have that they would need such a Sweet
system for?
katt :-)

Thanks!

"Strontium" wrote in message

-
katt33 stood up at show-n-tell, in

,

and

said:

snip

Later :-)
katt (Male)

LOL! :P~~~~

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

News==----

Newsgroups

---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via

Encryption

=---

News==----

Newsgroups