Benchmarking question

Old February 13th 04, 02:50 PM
Naj

Default Benchmarking question

Hey everyone,
I have a question about benchmarking. My Ti4200 64mb is finally
starting to show its age, and I want to bump up the clock frequencies,
but I am not familiar with the available free benchmarking utilities.
What should I be using to torture test my system as I bump up the
frequencies in increments of 5mHz (and where can I get it)? Also, I
have seen a lot of people say that once you have found the highest
setting that doesn't cause artifacts to display, you should run a
Quake 3 benchmark for 24 hours. Where can I get this?
Also, what should I be looking for as I am doing the benchmarking?
Thanks a lot, please have sympathy for this poor ignorant fool.
Old February 13th 04, 07:28 PM
Dashi

I would just leave it as is, you are not going to get a big enough
performance increase to justify overclocking it.

I would buy a new video card, FX5900XT(se).

Dashi
om...

Old February 14th 04, 12:02 AM
Naj

Problem is, that's not in my budget. I am broke right now, and I am
not going to be able to buy something until September (should be a new
generation out by then anyway).

Old February 14th 04, 09:56 AM
Thomas

Lee wrote:
best benchmarking program to test 3d performance is probably 3dmark
2003 www.madonion.com
With Quake 3 i think your referring to the time demo you can run from
console and just put it in a loop but i don't the command myself

Well, I still use 3DMArk 2001 SE myself... It give a better insight to
system performance; the combo of video, memory, CPU, you know.. the works.

Thomas

Old February 14th 04, 07:12 PM
Lee

personally i think 3dmark03 would give you a better indication of how your
system will perform for newer games i.e. HL2 and Doom3.

:
:Well, I still use 3DMArk 2001 SE myself... It give a better insight to
:system performance; the combo of video, memory, CPU, you know.. the works.
:..
:
:Thomas
:

-----
Lee.
Old February 15th 04, 09:12 AM
Thomas

Lee wrote:
personally i think 3dmark03 would give you a better indication of how
your system will perform for newer games i.e. HL2 and Doom3.

Erm... no... '03 only tests your videocard... you achieve almost the same
score with a twice as fast PC, if you use the same vid card. If testing
video speed is your goal, that's nice, but I think it's more important to
test the entire system.

But indeed, '01SE is a bit dated; only DX 8 support... Maybe Aquamark 3 is
the best then... this also tests the combination of 'CPU' and video, and
gives a total score, video score and CPU score...

Pfff... if I left any spelling errors, my apologies, it's too early to write
this ;-)

Thomas

Old February 15th 04, 10:37 AM
~misfit~

Thomas wrote:
Lee wrote:
personally i think 3dmark03 would give you a better indication of how
your system will perform for newer games i.e. HL2 and Doom3.

Erm... no... '03 only tests your videocard... you achieve almost the
same score with a twice as fast PC, if you use the same vid card. If
testing video speed is your goal, that's nice, but I think it's more
important to test the entire system.

But indeed, '01SE is a bit dated; only DX 8 support... Maybe Aquamark
3 is the best then... this also tests the combination of 'CPU' and
video, and gives a total score, video score and CPU score...

Pfff... if I left any spelling errors, my apologies, it's too early
to write this ;-)

I quite like AMD's N-Bench V3, downloadable from:

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2003/1128/amd.htm

This is a japanese site as N-Bench isn't supposed to be used in certain
parts of the world for some reason.

If you have trouble with Japanese just click the big link that has 69MB next
to it. It would be interesting to find out what scores people are getting.
It gives seperate scores for CPU and Graphics.
--
~misfit~