GW Power Supply Feedback

Old October 20th 04, 07:26 AM
RDBrimmer

Default GW Power Supply Feedback

I need some feedback on power supplies. Gateway has sent me 2 power
supplies 6500703, but the power supply in my system is 6500583. They say
it will work but when I talk to the tech support people that say I
really do need the 6500583. I had a lot of work done on it at the
Country Store to get is the way I want it and that is why the Country
Store said it was a good thing that I got that power supply because of
what I have configured in my system.

Here is what I found is the difference on GW support site.

6500583 H - Auxiliary Power Connector

The six-pin connector on the left is the motherboard auxiliary power
connector. This auxiliary power connector accepts a power lead from the
power supply. This auxiliary power connector supplies additional current
for the front panel USB and is required for proper operation of the
motherboard.

The motherboard has more than one power connector because federal
regulation allows a set level of current through each wire. If more
current is needed, more terminals are required, hence this auxiliary
power connector.

Note: When reseating any components or working inside the case, unplug
the power cord and wait for the green light to turn off (10 seconds
maximum). There is more available current supplied to this motherboard
than others. Failure to unplug the power cord will cause shorts and hot
spots on the motherboard and the component you were working with.

6500703 B - Auxiliary ATX Power

This is a closer view of the ATX auxiliary power on the motherboard.
This 2 × 2 power connector accepts a power lead from the power supply.
This auxiliary power connector supplies additional 12-volt service for
the processor and is required for proper operation of the motherboard.
The clip on the ATX power connector faces toward the front of the
motherboard.

The motherboard has more than one power connector because federal
regulation allows a set level of current through each wire. If more
current is needed, more terminals are required, hence this auxiliary
power connector.

Note: When reseating any components or working inside the case, unplug
the power cord and wait for the green light to turn off (10 seconds
maximum). There is more available current supplied to this motherboard
than others. Failure to unplug the power cord will cause shorts and hot
spots on the motherboard and the component you were working with.

Operating System Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
System Model Gateway E-4600 4000762
Processor 1.90 gigahertza Main Circuit Board Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Board: Intel Corporation D850GB AAA49507-904
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Intel Corp. GB85010A.15A.0046.P13.0108201551 08/20/2001
TDK CDRW5200B [CD-ROM drive]
TDK DVDRW840G [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]
Maxtor 4A300J0 [Hard drive] (300.00 GB)
Maxtor 6Y250P0 [Hard drive] (251.00 GB)
WDC WD1200BB-50CAA1 [Hard drive] (120.03 GB)
Installed Memory
Slot 'J7J1' has 512 MB
Slot 'J7J2' has 512 MB
Slot 'J8J1' has 128 MB
Slot 'J8J2' has 128 MB

Network Drives

Printers
Hp officejet k series on DOT4_001
hp officejet k series fax on DOT4_001

Controllers Display
Standard floppy disk controller
Intel(r) 82801BA Bus Master IDE Controller
Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller] RADEON 9600 SERIES [Display adapter]
RADEON 9600 SERIES - Secondary [Display adapter]
Samsung SyncMaster [Monitor] (15.7"vis, s/n HVAW201185, February 2003)
Samsung SyncMaster [Monitor] (15.7"vis, s/n HVAW201185, February 2003)
Bus Adapters Multimedia
WinXP Promise Ultra133 TX2 (tm) IDE Controller
Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2442
Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2444 Creative SB
Live! Series (WDM)
Creative SBLive! Gameport
Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
Communications Other Devices
GTW V.92 Voicemodem
1394 Net Adapter
RAS Async Adapter Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host
Controller
HID UPS Battery
American Power Conversion USB UPS
Hewlett-Packard OfficeJet K80 Scanner
Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Microsoft PS/2 Mouse
General Purpose USB Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub

Power Supply a2o General 5 March 4th 05 08:10 PM
Life expectancy Travis King Asus Motherboards 65 January 28th 05 09:37 PM
300w Power supply size for p4p800 can i ass a 2nd HD ? Paul Asus Motherboards 1 December 10th 04 01:48 AM
Which power supply for Lian-Li PC-78 case? Norman Woo Homebuilt PC's 2 January 14th 04 03:43 AM
Power Surge David LeBrun General 44 September 12th 03 02:35 AM