W200 Multiport modification?

Old December 1st 05, 12:31 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Default W200 Multiport modification?

Read this at HP/Compaq
USB 2.0 compliant, backward compatible with USB 1.1

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/w...multiport.html

It should work with higher data rates than 11mbps

I am intrested in this MOD, also.

Lance

Old December 2nd 05, 12:32 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Hey

guys ok I tried it.
Seems to work ony my Compaq evo N410c unfortunatly it only works as a
USB 1.1 port even though the rest of the ports are 2.0

I guess this is why they never released a 802.11g usb2.0 adaptor.
Either all the older models only have a 1.1 port or they all do.

Old December 2nd 05, 03:31 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

;MrGogo

wot hv u plug into the multiport for testing?
since i tried an ASUS wireless USB and windows rekcon as Unknown
Devices.

Old January 28th 06, 01:31 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Hi,

I just modified a N600C as described by XStylus and soldered a short
USB cable to the Multiport connector.
It works perfectly using a "Hama Wireless LAN USB 2.0 Stick
54Mbps"!
Hama was the cheapest 54Mbps Stick I could get (the driver says
"ZD1211"). The stick is thin enough to place the W200 cover
over it .
Yes, Multiport is only USB 1 but even though the Hama stick its faster
than the original W200. The config tool provided by hama reports a
transfer rate usually around 48Mbps depending on the signal quality.
I did not prove these numbers yet but the connection feels
signifficantly faster.

Thanks Xstylus!

Old March 2nd 07, 02:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
djmels

Thanks so much for the pinout, XStylus! I managed to hook up my
LevelOne WNC-0301USB 802.11g dongle to the multiport of my Evo n410c
and it even seems to take USB 2.0. I see nothing complaining as I have
seen before when I've got a USB2.0 device on a USB1.3 port; "this
device could run faster" or whatever it would be in the English
version of windows. Nothing of the sort, and it connects to the wifi
in a perfectly normal fashion. I'll test it to see if anything more
than 11mbps is coming through in a moment, lunch first :P.

Old March 2nd 07, 02:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
djmels

Update: Testing with AIDA32 network benchmark shows it only transfers
at rates of about 1500KB/s back and forth a.k.a. 11mbps a.k.a. USB
1.3. Not having tried this yet I hooked the same dongle up to a
"regular" USB port on the laptop and that TOO gave me only
11mbps.
However not all is lost as the USB Root Hub it's connected to (in both
cases) in the device manager has loads and loads of "USB20"
mentionings in its PropertiesDetails tab. I reckon some driver
updates etc. are all that's needed to give it a nice little USB2.0
speed boost. Let's see.

Old March 12th 07, 02:27 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
estefan20

Default W200 Multiport modification - IMPORTANT

My previous data was incorrect, however I do have updated info. I
managed
to get a USB mouse working via the Multiport using this pinout
configuration.

Pin 1 or 8: Ground
Pin 2: vcc +5 volt (Red)
Pin 5: Data + (Green)
Pin 6: Data - (White)

I have no idea what pin 3, 4, and 7 do.

Now it's time for me to go run to Best Buy and buy me a USB WiFi

adapter.
^_^

yea this is and old thread, here is more info on multiport pins

Pin 1: Ground
Pin 2: vcc +5 volt (Red)
pin 3: f2 3.3v=on off=0v
pin 4: f2 3.3v=0n off=0v
Pin 5: Data + (Green)
Pin 6: Data - (White)
pin 7: unknown
pin 8: Ground

one possable use for pin3,4
using a npn transistor with the base on 3, +device on pin2, -device
on emitter, collector to pin 1 or 8, you should be able to turn your
device on/off with the fn+2