Presario 5BW130 HDD Install Problem

Old December 15th 04, 03:08 PM
Matthew S Gillette

Default Presario 5BW130 HDD Install Problem

After tossing the old hard drive, I can't get this new Maxtor to take WINXP.
I just want to load XP and start from scratch. Everything loads fine for
copying, but on the first reboot before installing Windows, this Compaq
can't seem to boot through. Is it missing bios info on a non-dos partition
or something? I've only tried to boot to CD and am using WINXP
partitioning/formatting. I can't find any Compaq bootable disk files which
will setup this HDD for an OS. Am I missing something glaringly obvious.
Thank you in advance for any help.

5BW130 5000 Series
Compaq PC
Celeron
667/66 MHz
256 MB
sys rom date: 11.17.00
sysrom family: 686c3
chassis serial #:xxxxxxxxxxxx

Old December 16th 04, 12:49 PM
HH

No, that model does not store BIOS info on a HD partition. It is in ROM. If
the original IDE cable is being used is the HD properly jumpered for Cable
Select?
HH

Old December 16th 04, 02:26 PM
Matthew S Gillette

Yes, the HDD is jumpered for CS. Actually tried it both ways (Master as
well).
WINXP cd boots, copies files, reboots, and comes right back to step #1 of
the install... copying files. Though it does see that I already have a
Windows directory and makes me delete it before it copies files for
installation *again* and reboots again, and so on and so forth in an endless
loop. Is it possible the MOBO was actually the original problem and not the
HDD? I have reduced the memory from the original 2 sticks of 256Mb ea. to 1
stick and have tried using either so memory should be eliminated as any
problem. Thoughts?

Old December 17th 04, 12:30 AM
HH

First, I'd suggest going to:

http://www.bootdisk.com

Download a bootdisk for, say, Win 98SE. Make the boot floppy and use it to
FDISK the drive, then format with the /s switch to make the drive bootable.
Then try the XP install again.

Old December 17th 04, 03:24 AM
doS

delete the c parttion with the boot disk, then install xp....that machine is
a lil slow for xp anyway...

Old December 26th 04, 02:23 PM
Matthew S Gillette

Ahh, if it were only that simple. Of course, we started with a virgin
drive, this would only bring us back where we've been several times. We've
actually tried several methods for partitioning and formatting. We even used
a boot floppy even though we wanted to avoid a FAT32 file system. Formatting
has never been the problem. As I said, it takes the initial boot to CD and
copies files, but on the first reboot it refuses to continue the load. We
had followed normal SOP for installing a new drive and not being Compaq
people, we were looking for the Compaq "magic bullet" when SOP failed.
Apparently there isn't one. If what I gather from the responses to this post
are correct, there must be a hardware problem somewhere, though I haven't
given up entirely on Compaq's proprietory ways for being at least partially
to blame.
As for being a lil slow for XP, I would disagree. Though the minimum
requirements of 233MHz and 64 MB RAM would prove to be just that, minimum,
and minimum recommended of 300MHz and 128 MB RAM little more, 667 MHz w/ 256
MB RAM is more then sufficient for the OS Windows XP. Now, what kind of
software they can run on this system once XP is loaded may be governed by
the Celeron's performance limits, but for the most part there shouldn't be a
problem. Either way, XP's stability makes it well worth any performance hit
it may impose. Thanks for the input though, all things to consider.

Old March 31st 05, 04:57 PM
crazycoyote

Man, I am having the exact same problem. I started with the original
HDD, Fireball 15gb, with a different OS (2003 server), and it's doing
the stupid "no boot sector" thing. The error: NTLDR: Cannot read from
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition. I thought I might have a corrupt HDD,
so I replaced the original HDD with a Maxtor 80gb, and am having the
same problem again, so I know it's not a corrupt disk. If I'm not
mistaken, this file is the boot sector for the drive that the cmos
accesses on system powerup. I know that the files are on the drive,
but is the system looking in the wrong place? Did you ever solve the
problem? I'd love to get this computer working, it'd be a lot better
for work than my 233mHz k6.... The only thing better about the K6 is
that -IT- actually works.

Please reply either by e-mail or through this board to let me know if
you ever found a solution.

=-_+_-=

Matthew S Gillette Wrote:
[...]

"doS" wrote in message
...-
delete the c parttion with the boot disk, then install xp....that
machine
is
a lil slow for xp anyway...

"Matthew S Gillette"
wrote in message
...-
[...]
...-

wrote in message
[...]

-

-

-

--
crazycoyote

Old July 16th 05, 04:00 PM
rufus

I know this thread is old but I came across it when I had the same
problem. The issue is NTFS. If you use FAT32 for XP it WILL WORK. Sucks
but at least it's a solution. Apparantly compaq looks for a certain file
when the computer boots and it only seems to be able to find it when
it's on a FAT32 partition. Perhaps a Boot Manager program will do the
trick...

--
rufus
Old January 5th 06, 05:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

I had exactly the same problem. In my case, I solved the problem by
connecting the hard-drive and the cd-room in the right drive at the IDE
cable. Both devices had to be set to the “Cable Select” jumper
configuration, and the HD had to be attached to the drive 0 at the IDE
cable, being this connected to the primary slot. The cd-room was
supposed to be connected to the drive 1 of the same IDE cable. All of
this is for the HD to be considered the Master device. I had them the
other way around. It seems that this configuration is mandatory for
Compaq PC’s (I have not noticed the same trick in non-Compaq PC’s).

Ah, by the way, my partition was NTFS before installing XP, and I let
it the same after.

Matthew S Gillette Wrote:
[...]

korcky