Presario CDS-524

Old November 5th 04, 02:36 PM
Torbjørn Morka

Default Presario CDS-524

I am the lucky owner of such antique PC, and i wondered WHERE to get a
manual for it ? NOT what kind of memory etc, but something showing the
motherboard etc...?
Ehh, HP has bought up ALL Compaq i guess ??

Torbjørn.

Old November 6th 04, 05:06 PM
Don Kelloway

"Torbjørn Morka" wrote in message
I am the lucky owner of such antique PC, and i wondered WHERE to get a
manual for it ? NOT what kind of memory etc, but something showing the
motherboard etc...?
Ehh, HP has bought up ALL Compaq i guess ??

Maybe I can help. As a former Tech Support employee of Compaq I still have
my Compaq Service Quick Reference Guide and within are a few pages on the
Presario 500 Family. What is it you would like to know about the
motherboard?

--
Best regards, from Don Kelloway of Commodon Communications
Visit http://www.commodon.com to learn about the "Threats to Your Security

Old November 7th 04, 03:41 AM
Torbjørn Morka

Don Kelloway wrote:
"Torbjørn Morka" wrote in message

I am the lucky owner of such antique PC, and i wondered WHERE to get a
manual for it ? NOT what kind of memory etc, but something showing the
motherboard etc...?
Ehh, HP has bought up ALL Compaq i guess ??

Maybe I can help. As a former Tech Support employee of Compaq I still have
my Compaq Service Quick Reference Guide and within are a few pages on the
Presario 500 Family. What is it you would like to know about the
motherboard?

Not so much really, i have seen there are one set of RAM-chips on the
MB, i guess for VGA-memory ?
And i have one of two slots with place of max 64Mb RAM, waow :-)

Ehh, it is pretty much clear of what i want to know or what i need to
know really, since i've already dismantled it for closer study :-)

The built-in MODEM, how fast is it ?

I guess the time has come for me to wipe the dust of an OLD ISA-card for
network-use...

But, by all means, many thanks for replying, :-)
Hope i dont seem to childish only because my need were smaller than i
anticipated my self.

T.
Old November 7th 04, 07:09 AM
Don Kelloway

"Torbjørn Morka" wrote in message
news
Don Kelloway wrote:
[...]

The mobo comes with 4MB memory built-in so my guess is that you are looking
at these chips. Though you're already aware you can add a couple of
additional SIMMS (70ns), maximum 64MB. For the modem, it's a 9600bps.

Old November 8th 04, 12:09 PM
HH

Don,
Consumer TechInfo lists the modem as a 14.4, which is what I recall the 500
series having. 9600s came in the 400/600/800 series Presarios.
Video RAM is 512K, non-upgradeable.
HH

k.net...

Old November 8th 04, 06:30 PM
Don Kelloway

Don Kelloway wrote:
[...]

Hmm? In my reading the QRG (-29 Edition) pages 2-76 through 2-79, it
states "Presario 500 Family" of which it then lists the CDS524 as well as
all of the other flavors. I did however note upon reading the section more
closely that the 9600 modem is used in the International builds of the
product and there is nothing listed in the QRG for US Domestic build. Maybe
that's why? The 14.4 modem is used in the US builds? I dunno. Hopefully
the OP has the information he sought.

Got to love that old CDS524 with the TV Tuner. hehe

Old November 9th 04, 04:12 AM
HH

Don,
Never was a 524 with a TV Tuner card. There was a 520 CDTV and a 528 CDTV.
HH

"Don Kelloway" wrote in message
ink.net...

Old November 9th 04, 05:24 AM
Don Kelloway

news Don Kelloway wrote:
[...]

Unless I have mistaken the model I believe there was a CDS524 in our Tech
Support lab with the TV Tuner card. Of course we're talking eight years ago
so my memory could be faulty. Maybe it was a 528? Something I do remember
very distinctly is that Compaq had many flavors of every model.

Old November 11th 04, 05:55 PM
Torbjørn Morka

Don Kelloway wrote:
"HH" wrote in message

Don,
Never was a 524 with a TV Tuner card. There was a 520 CDTV and a 528 CDTV.
HH

"Don Kelloway" wrote in message
hlink.net...

.. .

Don Kelloway wrote:

"Torbjørn Morka" wrote in message
line.dk...

I am the lucky owner of such antique PC, and i wondered WHERE to get
a manual for it ? NOT what kind of memory etc, but something showing
the motherboard etc...?
Ehh, HP has bought up ALL Compaq i guess ??

Maybe I can help. As a former Tech Support employee of Compaq I
still have my Compaq Service Quick Reference Guide and within are a
few pages on the Presario 500 Family. What is it you would like to
know about the motherboard?

Ehh, what keystrokes for entering BIOS ?

Is it possible for the BIOS to Boot on CD-rom ?
(Or any BIOS-update available ?)

T..