sound setup problem

Old February 6th 05, 07:56 PM
o-chan

Default sound setup problem

Hi, I have an Abit NF7-S motherboard and am using the built-in audio
ports. I am trying to hook up a Logitech Z-640 speaker set, a 5.1 system.

Accoring to the Abit manual:
green = front left/right
orange = rear left/right
black = center/sub

The Logitech setup guide however doesn't get specific. They just say
"hook up the green/orange/black plugs to your sound card's corresponding
inputs". Okay, sounds easy, right? The problem is that when I do this
I get no sound from my rear speakers.

I should mention that I have checked the audio preferences in Windows
and selected a 6-speaker setup. I've also moved the individual speakers
around and connected them to different ports on the subwoofer, so I know
all the speakers are operational. I also know all the sound ports on
the motherboard work because I've moved the plugs to different inputs
and am able to get at least some sound. But I just can't get everything
right.

I was wondering how best to troubleshoot this. Are there any utility
programs that can send sound to individual speakers so you can see that
selecting "rear right" sends a sound to the rear right speaker for
example? Thanks.
Old February 6th 05, 10:01 PM
C R Briggs

"o-chan" wrote in message
Hi, I have an Abit NF7-S motherboard and am using the built-in audio
ports. I am trying to hook up a Logitech Z-640 speaker set, a 5.1 system.

Accoring to the Abit manual:
green = front left/right
orange = rear left/right
black = center/sub

The Logitech setup guide however doesn't get specific. They just say
"hook up the green/orange/black plugs to your sound card's corresponding
inputs". Okay, sounds easy, right? The problem is that when I do this I
get no sound from my rear speakers.

snip

I was wondering how best to troubleshoot this. Are there any utility
programs that can send sound to individual speakers so you can see that
selecting "rear right" sends a sound to the rear right speaker for
example? Thanks.

The following assumes that the sound is provided by an AC97 Sound Chip.

Have you used the "AC97 Audio Configuration" "Speaker Configuration" to
set the jack sockets from "Line In" & "Mic In" to "Rear Speaker Out" &
"Centre/Subwoofer Speaker Out" ?

--
Roger

Old February 6th 05, 10:52 PM
o-chan

The following assumes that the sound is provided by an AC97 Sound Chip.

Have you used the "AC97 Audio Configuration" "Speaker Configuration" to
set the jack sockets from "Line In" & "Mic In" to "Rear Speaker Out" &
"Centre/Subwoofer Speaker Out" ?

There is an option for using the line in and mic in for rear and center
speakers, but I do not have that checked.

Old February 6th 05, 11:18 PM
bejay

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 14:56:37 -0500, o-chan wrote:

[...]

I used the NVIDIA NVMixer application which was part of their latest
driver upgrade package to set up my 5.1 speakers using the on-board
audio chip on my Abit NF7. This utility lets you individually control
speaker volume and add various equaliser/surround sound effects. You
may even have it somewhere in an NVIDIA folder. Look for NvMixer.exe
or NvMixer tray.exe

bejay
Old February 8th 05, 12:10 AM
o-chan

I used the NVIDIA NVMixer application which was part of their latest
driver upgrade package to set up my 5.1 speakers using the on-board
audio chip on my Abit NF7. This utility lets you individually control
speaker volume and add various equaliser/surround sound effects. You
may even have it somewhere in an NVIDIA folder. Look for NvMixer.exe
or NvMixer tray.exe

bejay

Thanks, that worked GREAT. It was strange I had the installer on my C
drive and it was called "audio setup" in the nvidia/audio/utls folder,
but for some reason it was never installed. Not only did I get it set
up properly but I was able to make it automatically send front L/R to
the rear L/R when only playing a 2.0 audio source. Thanks again.

WDM No Sound Fix for Win98, SE, ME kony General 0 March 21st 04 08:58 AM
Sound problem Tupac Resurrection Homebuilt PC's 1 December 10th 03 04:38 PM
What could cause Sound output to suddenly go nearly silent? kevins_news Homebuilt PC's 19 December 1st 03 03:09 PM
Sound Problem Jack Bruss General 3 November 24th 03 12:44 AM
screeching sound problem in pc Rabramson1 Overclocking AMD Processors 8 September 10th 03 04:50 PM