Optiplex GX-620 = ?

Old March 2nd 11, 02:46 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Steve W.[_4_]

Default Optiplex GX-620 = ?

Ok heres a goofy one.
What consumer model (Dimension/Inspiron) does the GX620 mate up with?

This one has the ADI Soundmax on-board audio but no control panel for it.

I have an IBM sitting here that also has an ADI Soundmax on-board and it
has a nice control panel that gives you options like EQ/ sound expansion
and all the fun stuff. Was thinking that maybe Dell had an onboard sound
in one of the other models that had a control panel that would work.

I sort of doubt that they used a real different chip version for the
on-board. I am thinking they just don't offer it on a "business" machine.
--
Steve W.
Old March 2nd 11, 11:15 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
olfart

"Steve W." wrote in message
Ok heres a goofy one.
What consumer model (Dimension/Inspiron) does the GX620 mate up with?

This one has the ADI Soundmax on-board audio but no control panel for it.

I have an IBM sitting here that also has an ADI Soundmax on-board and it
has a nice control panel that gives you options like EQ/ sound expansion
and all the fun stuff. Was thinking that maybe Dell had an onboard sound
in one of the other models that had a control panel that would work.

I sort of doubt that they used a real different chip version for the
on-board. I am thinking they just don't offer it on a "business" machine.
--

Steve W.

why don't you Google ADI Soundmax and try to d/l software that might give
you what you want??

Old March 3rd 11, 03:31 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Steve W.[_4_]

olfart wrote:
"Steve W." wrote in message
Ok heres a goofy one.
What consumer model (Dimension/Inspiron) does the GX620 mate up with?

This one has the ADI Soundmax on-board audio but no control panel for it.

I have an IBM sitting here that also has an ADI Soundmax on-board and it
has a nice control panel that gives you options like EQ/ sound expansion
and all the fun stuff. Was thinking that maybe Dell had an onboard sound
in one of the other models that had a control panel that would work.

I sort of doubt that they used a real different chip version for the
on-board. I am thinking they just don't offer it on a "business" machine.
--

Steve W.

why don't you Google ADI Soundmax and try to d/l software that might give
you what you want??

Mainly because Dell has a nasty habit of making generic drivers
non-functional.

Also because there are thousands of versions of the ADI chipsets out
there that are tweaked by application.

Dell may have one that will work IF they used the chip in a non-business
machine during the same time.

My other option will probably be a PCI -X1 soundcard. Been looking at
those as well.

--
Steve W.
Old March 3rd 11, 03:38 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh[_2_]

Hi!

What consumer model (Dimension/Inspiron) does the GX620 mate up with?

As far as I know, there is no direct parallel.

I have an IBM sitting here that also has an ADI Soundmax on-board
and it has a nice control panel that gives you options like EQ/ sound
expansion and all the fun stuff.

Whenever you see integrated AC'97 or HD Audio, it's all software. The
chip on the motherboard is nothing more than a DAC. The driver
prepares all the sound, converts its sample rate as needed, applies
any audio effects and packages the whole thing for output.

It's up to the hardware designer to decide what they want to include
in their driver package. I would imagine that the various options come
at different prices. Analog Devices does not provide reference
drivers, stating the usual "because hardware makers customize our
products for use in their finished designs..." crap.

Offhand, you could try the IBM drivers and see what happens. Provided
both systems have the same chipset and SoundMAX IC, they might work.
Depends upon whether or not the IBM drivers do some kind of a machine
check.

William
Old March 4th 11, 05:20 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Steve W.[_4_]

William R. Walsh wrote:
Hi!

What consumer model (Dimension/Inspiron) does the GX620 mate up with?

As far as I know, there is no direct parallel.

Yeah, after looking at all the different models there are a couple that
"look" possible, but they came with Soundblaster hardware.

I have an IBM sitting here that also has an ADI Soundmax on-board
and it has a nice control panel that gives you options like EQ/ sound
expansion and all the fun stuff.

Whenever you see integrated AC'97 or HD Audio, it's all software. The
chip on the motherboard is nothing more than a DAC. The driver
prepares all the sound, converts its sample rate as needed, applies
any audio effects and packages the whole thing for output.

That's what I figured. Was just hoping that maybe Dell had already
packaged it up for me...

It's up to the hardware designer to decide what they want to include
in their driver package. I would imagine that the various options come
at different prices. Analog Devices does not provide reference
drivers, stating the usual "because hardware makers customize our
products for use in their finished designs..." crap.

Offhand, you could try the IBM drivers and see what happens. Provided
both systems have the same chipset and SoundMAX IC, they might work.
Depends upon whether or not the IBM drivers do some kind of a machine
check.

William

Yeah I have about 4 different ADI packs here. May get lucky... Then
again it may be a crap shoot...

Thanks
--
Steve W.
Old April 6th 11, 03:11 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

On Mar 2, 11:31*pm, "Steve W." wrote:
olfart wrote:
"Steve W." wrote in message
[...]

The Optiplex GX620 uses an Intel 945 chipset, so probably a Dimension
5100 or 5150 would be the closest match for it. But the motherboards
may well have a different manufacturer and maybe even a slightly
different ADI chip. No matter. There are not all that many ADI audio
chips. My rule of thumb is that if two motherboards have on-board
audio from the same chip mfr and the same motherboard chipset, they
are likely to share the same audio driver.

The time is LONG PAST when any name brand PC manufacturer can dictate
a special version of any motherboard chip. Compaq did it once with
its on-board sound chip in some early model of Deskpro, and they ended
up screwing themselves.

Maybe save yourself some trouble and just install a decent PCI audio
card? ... Ben Myers