Drivers for SoundBlaster X-FI XtremeMusic. (D)w/Dolby Digital 5.1, 64-Bit Win 7 drivers

Old October 16th 10, 12:35 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default Drivers for SoundBlaster X-FI XtremeMusic. (D)w/Dolby Digital 5.1, 64-Bit Win 7 drivers

I got the above card in my new Dell.

I am having trouble with a service the driver uses taking up
CPU time (about half of a core) even when no sound is being
played. I can turn off the service, but the sound quality goes
down a bit (at least to my ear).

Dell has no drivers for this card and OS on their download
site.

Creative tells me their drivers will probably not work on
the Dell version, and besides, the photo they have of the
XtremeMusic has different connectors (mine has five analog
pin inputs, and two optical (one in, one out).

Do you think the creative drivers would actually work?

I have always switched right away to the nVidia or ATI drivers
when I get a new machine.

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)
Old October 19th 10, 03:26 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh[_2_]

Hi!

Do you think the creative drivers would actually work?

Of course I do. The only difference that card is likely to have from a
retail version--and this is speculative--is a special front panel
audio connector. (I say "speculative" because I haven't seen any
really new Dell products with upgraded sound cards, so I don't know
how they are doing it today.)

You may also find that you get some added features that Dell didn't
wish to enable or support with your card.

I'm not sure why disabling a service would reduce the audio quality,
unless that service is upsampling/upconverting all audio to a higher
bit rate or something. What is the service called?

William
Old October 19th 10, 04:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"William R. Walsh" writes:

Hi!

Do you think the creative drivers would actually work?

Of course I do. The only difference that card is likely to have from a
retail version--and this is speculative--is a special front panel
audio connector. (I say "speculative" because I haven't seen any
really new Dell products with upgraded sound cards, so I don't know
how they are doing it today.)

You may also find that you get some added features that Dell didn't
wish to enable or support with your card.

I'm not sure why disabling a service would reduce the audio quality,
unless that service is upsampling/upconverting all audio to a higher
bit rate or something. What is the service called?

It is CTAudSvc.exe.

I got some Creative drivers (I finally found out what Creative calls
this card) and they work well. The new CTAudSvc takes up 1/12th of
a CPU rather than half, so it is a significant improvement.

I must say that Dell and Creative did not do well here. Both pointed
to the other as the supporter of the card.

Thanks,
ah

William

Old October 19th 10, 06:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Nick[_7_]

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 07:26:08 -0700 (PDT), in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "William
R. Walsh" wrote:

Do you think the creative drivers would actually work?

Of course I do. The only difference that card is likely to have from a
retail version--and this is speculative--is a special front panel
audio connector. (I say "speculative" because I haven't seen any
really new Dell products with upgraded sound cards, so I don't know
how they are doing it today.)

That's not a safe assumption about OEM versions of Creative sound cards. I
ran into this several years ago: I tried to use Creative's drivers with one
of their cards that came with my computer, and they didn't work.

I don't remember the specific problem, but when I Googled and also checked a
relevant newsgroup, it turned out that other people had the exact same
problem. Using the latest drivers from the computer manufacturer worked,
but using ones from Creative didn't.

This wasn't just a one-time problem: I've seen this exact same problem
mentioned other times since then. Apparently the OEM versions of Creative's
card have enough differences that Creative's drivers won't always work with
them.

You may also find that you get some added features that Dell didn't
wish to enable or support with your card.

This is quite common with video card drivers. I've never had problems using
the manufacturer's drivers with the video card that came with a computer,
and they often have configuration options and other features that are
missing from the drivers supplied by the computer manufacturer.

But OEM versions of Creative sound cards seem to be a different story.

--
Nick

TANSTAAFL! (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!) R.A.H.
Old October 19th 10, 09:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

R. Walsh" wrote:

Do you think the creative drivers would actually work?

Of course I do. The only difference that card is likely to have from a
retail version--and this is speculative--is a special front panel
audio connector. (I say "speculative" because I haven't seen any
really new Dell products with upgraded sound cards, so I don't know
how they are doing it today.)

That's not a safe assumption about OEM versions of Creative sound cards. I
ran into this several years ago: I tried to use Creative's drivers with one
of their cards that came with my computer, and they didn't work.

I don't remember the specific problem, but when I Googled and also checked a
relevant newsgroup, it turned out that other people had the exact same
problem. Using the latest drivers from the computer manufacturer worked,
but using ones from Creative didn't.

Dell has No drivers for this card on their website for Win 7.
And apparently no plans to add any.

I got lucky with the creative drivers.

Old October 19th 10, 10:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh[_2_]

Hi!

That's not a safe assumption about OEM versions of Creative
sound cards. *I ran into this several years ago: I tried to use
Creative's drivers with one of their cards that came with my
computer, and they didn't work.

What card was it--or what model was it most closely related to?

I have never had problems using the Creative sourced drivers (that is,
if they sourced any to start with--there are some cards where you can
only upgrade the drivers and not do a fresh install) with any OEM-
provided Creative sound card.

As far as I know, Creative builds all of their own cards, whether OEMs
use them or they go to retail. The only exception I'm aware of would
be the old ViBRA chipset.

I remember a discussion thread somewhere (not sure if it was on this
NG or elsewhere) talking about OEM versions of hardware being cut down
only with watered down software--and regaining their full
functionality when the retail version of the drivers were put into
use.

William
Old October 19th 10, 11:41 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Dave[_40_]

On Oct 19, 5:04*pm, "William R. Walsh" wrote:
Hi!

[...]

Sorry if I seem like an ASS....but isn't this guy a bit needy.
This guy can afford a dell precision computer (WAY overpriced),
so why could he not have had a custom built (with NO oem crap)
computer for a similar price.
ALL his problems revolve around DELL specific problems
which they won't currently address.
He JUST needs to wait for updated drivers...etc from Dell.
Most people DON'T have this computer so we are
not going to very helpful.
Sorry for the rant.
Dave
Old October 20th 10, 10:16 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Nick[_7_]

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 14:04:44 -0700 (PDT), in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "William
R. Walsh" wrote:

Hi!

That's not a safe assumption about OEM versions of Creative
sound cards. *I ran into this several years ago: I tried to use
Creative's drivers with one of their cards that came with my
computer, and they didn't work.

What card was it--or what model was it most closely related to?

I honestly don't remember: this was on a previous, long-gone computer. Might
have been my first Dell, or maybe one of the Microns from before switching
to Dell.

I vaguely remember the card had an I/O port (serial?, parallel?) that wasn't
on the retail version from Creative.

It's quite possible that the problem doesn't occur these days, but, as I
mentioned, it wasn't just a one-time thing: I've seen mentions of similar
issues a few times over the years.

On this Dell, I didn't get a separate sound card: I don't play games
anymore, and I have a decent stereo when I want music to compute to. So I
just stuck with the sound that came with the motherboard.

--
Nick

"The best laid schemes o' mice an' men Gang aft agley." Robert Burns
Old October 20th 10, 05:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh[_2_]

Hi!

Sorry if I seem like an ASS....but isn't this guy a bit needy.

I'm not sure who you are addressing...probably not me! (The only
Precision I have is an old Precision 220 workstation and it was priced
right.)

This guy can afford a dell precision computer (WAY overpriced),
so why could he not have had a custom built (with NO oem
crap) computer for a similar price.

While there are no doubt some reliable, honest and long-operating
"white box" computer builders around, they aren't for everyone. Nor
are those reliable choices around in every area.

I do a little bit of "white box" building and in the time that has
elapsed since I really started to help others with their computers
(since ~1995) I've seen a lot of them come and go. Dell is at least
likely to be in business if the need to honor a warranty arises.

He JUST needs to wait for updated drivers...etc from Dell.

It's not likely to help. Dell's standard operating procedure is to
pick a given release of a driver, package it and provide it for
download as the "official" software. The only exception happens when a
serious issue arises, usually security related. I'll be surprised if
they update this driver in any meaningful way.

Despite what chip makers would have you believe, most OEMs do very
little to change the reference drivers that are later distributed.

William
Old October 21st 10, 02:11 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Dave writes:

[...]

I only post Dell questions here. I have had plenty of other
questions, posed to the Photoshop group, the SSH group, the
Win-7 Group, so far on Linux I am just reading documentation
and forums, I expect I will have lots of questions for some
groups on that when I get further into it..

Just because I have lots of Dell questions here doesn't mean
I don't have lots of other questions elsewhere.

You are right, I should have built my own. I chickened out...
So call me a coward...

But all the problems to date have been solved, one way or another.
A new one came up today, but it is not Dell related.

He JUST needs to wait for updated drivers...etc from Dell.

They quite explicitly said they will not update those drivers.
As I mentioned in the first post in this thread.

Most people DON'T have this computer so we are
not going to very helpful.

In the 15 years I have asked questions here there has been
a lot of help, and still is. It is one of the better places
left in my Usenet groups.

Sorry for the rant.

De nada...

Dave