UPS's used above 104 degrees F

Old July 16th 07, 02:33 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

Default UPS's used above 104 degrees F

I want use a UPS in my garage but in the summer, the garage gets hot
(about 120 degrees F). Seems like I see a lot of specs for UPS used
up to 104 degrees so if I use it at times at 120 degrees (say for 6
hours or so a day), I presume I will be lessening the life of the UPS
battery? Do you think it will be substantial?
Old July 16th 07, 11:15 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

RnR wrote:

I want use a UPS in my garage but in the summer, the garage gets hot
(about 120 degrees F). Seems like I see a lot of specs for UPS used
up to 104 degrees so if I use it at times at 120 degrees (say for 6
hours or so a day), I presume I will be lessening the life of the UPS
battery? Do you think it will be substantial?

I use a UPS in the basement to power radios upstairs, using a 12/3
extension cord. Not for temperature but to keep a switching supply
it powers distant from the radios, on account of radio noise.
But obviously it's cooler down there, if you wanted to do that.

--
Ron Hardin

Old July 16th 07, 06:34 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

On Jul 15, 6:33 pm, RnR wrote:
I want use a UPS in my garage but in the summer, the garage gets hot
(about 120 degrees F). Seems like I see a lot of specs for UPS used
up to 104 degrees so if I use it at times at 120 degrees (say for 6
hours or so a day), I presume I will be lessening the life of the UPS
battery? Do you think it will be substantial?

120 degrees is too damn hot. Not just uncomfortable, but unsafe to
store some solvents, and unsafe for humans to work in.

Old July 16th 07, 07:12 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
HDRDTD

As a general rule with electronics , if it's too hot for you, it's too hot
for the equipment.

wrote in message
ups.com...

Old July 17th 07, 04:05 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

"HDRDTD" wrote in message
As a general rule with electronics , if it's too hot for you, it's too hot
for the equipment.

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 15, 6:33 pm, RnR wrote:
I want use a UPS in my garage but in the summer, the garage gets hot
(about 120 degrees F). Seems like I see a lot of specs for UPS used
up to 104 degrees so if I use it at times at 120 degrees (say for 6
hours or so a day), I presume I will be lessening the life of the UPS
battery? Do you think it will be substantial?

120 degrees is too damn hot. Not just uncomfortable, but unsafe to
store some solvents, and unsafe for humans to work in.

most servers are spec'd with a maximum operating tempature of 95 degrees
f... much higher and they shut themselves down, orderely or not. so the ups
is probably the least of your problems.

Old July 17th 07, 05:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Nick Danger

"RnR" wrote in message
I want use a UPS in my garage but in the summer, the garage gets hot
(about 120 degrees F). Seems like I see a lot of specs for UPS used
up to 104 degrees so if I use it at times at 120 degrees (say for 6
hours or so a day), I presume I will be lessening the life of the UPS
battery? Do you think it will be substantial?

What's inside a UPS? A lead-acid battery and some circuitry. What's under
the hood of your car (besides the engine and other moving parts)? A
lead-acid baattery and some circuitry. And your car probably spends a lot of
time in that same garage until you take it out and drive it, at which time
it gets even hotter under the hood.

Generally, high temperatures are not the best environment and they will
shorten the life of a battery or electronic circuits, but they shouldn't be
a killer. If you have a choice of a garage or a basement, then the basement
would be better, but if it has to go in the garage, you just accept that the
specs will be different.

However, you should keep in mind that a UPS is designed to provide backup
power for short periods during the occasional power outage. It's not
intended to provide long-term power on a regular basis. For that, you need a
deep cycle battery. Regular lead-acid batteries can provide full power for a
short time. Deep cycle batteries provide steady power for a long time and
can withstand frequent discharge/recharge cycles. See
http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm for more details.

Old July 20th 07, 01:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tony Harding

RnR wrote:
I want use a UPS in my garage but in the summer, the garage gets hot
(about 120 degrees F). Seems like I see a lot of specs for UPS used
up to 104 degrees so if I use it at times at 120 degrees (say for 6
hours or so a day), I presume I will be lessening the life of the UPS
battery? Do you think it will be substantial?

How about aiming a fan at your UPS (and computer)?

How do *you* fate at 106F for 6 hours? I couldn't handle it.