"Unknown CPU Type @2200MHz"

Old May 28th 04, 12:38 AM
Dublevay

Default "Unknown CPU Type @2200MHz"

I've been running my XP2500 at 2.2GHz on an Asus A7N8X Standard (rev 1.6)
mobo for almost a year now. I recently bought an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe mobo,
and installed everything, and continued to overclock successfully. It was
running BIOS 1.007 when I got it, so I decided to try out some new ones.

First of all I tried the official 1.008 BIOS from Asus. Then I decided to
try the 1.008 Uber BIOS. All was OK, apart from one or two boots where the
machine wouldn't post. There was just a blank screen. On those two
occasions, a quick RESET sorted it out. Suddenly, though, it didn't want to
boot up at all, and I ended up disconnecting just about everything from the
machine, clearing the CMOS etc. Only once I had [reluctantly] disturbed the
CPU, and then reseated it, did the machine decide to boot.

After this, though, when I boot up, on the very first screen, instead of
telling me I have an Athlon XP3200+, I now get told I have an "Unknown CPU
Type @2200MHz". I have tried reflashing back to the official 1.008 and the
original 1.007, to no avail. SiSoft Sandra indicates that performance is as
expected with my overclock, but I can't help thinking that something else
must be wrong for this to be happening!

Any ideas?

JW

Old May 28th 04, 08:53 AM
Dublevay

--

No. The processor 'label' is determined by a combination of the FSB and the
multiplier. My processor, being a Barton, is currently running on 200MHz FSB

Old May 28th 04, 05:06 PM

On Fri, 28 May 2004 07:53:07 GMT, "Dublevay"
wrote:

"BigBadger" wrote in message
Can't you just go into the BIOS and select XP3200+ ??

No. The processor 'label' is determined by a combination of the FSB and the
multiplier. My processor, being a Barton, is currently running on 200MHz FSB
with a x11 multiplier.

200MHz System Clock x 11Multiplier
= 2200 MHz FSB
= 400 MHz DDR System Bus
= Equivalent to an AMDXP3200

Happens on some nForce MOBO / memory combination [s] You have arrived
at the right destination via a different route - it's stable is it ?,
if so don't worry it's giving you the right everything - just no POST
description.

BoroLad
Old May 28th 04, 09:16 PM
OZoNE

"Dublevay" wrote in message
[...]

If i set my Mobile barton 2500+ to 11x166 it reads Athlon 2500+ Mobile.
When set to 11x200 I get same as you or message...unknown cpu @ 2200Mhz
Asus A7N8X with 1007 Uber Bios.
OZoNE

Old May 29th 04, 01:36 AM
Robert

or maybe you installed the wrong bios for the wrong board

Old May 29th 04, 10:51 AM
Dublevay

"Robert" wrote in message
or maybe you installed the wrong bios for the wrong board

It was definitely labelled as being for my board. And the file naming
convention followed suit too.

JW

Old May 29th 04, 12:02 PM
Dublevay

"Dublevay" wrote in message

After this, though, when I boot up, on the very first screen, instead of
telling me I have an Athlon XP3200+, I now get told I have an "Unknown CPU
Type @2200MHz". I have tried reflashing back to the official 1.008 and the
original 1.007, to no avail. SiSoft Sandra indicates that performance is

as
expected with my overclock, but I can't help thinking that something else
must be wrong for this to be happening!

I think I've sussed what is wrong. I must have damaged the chip when
refitting it, as I now notice that my L2 cache is only 64K. I will
investigate further later on this evening.

I guess that is why my mobo cannot recognise it to be a Barton now? Methinks
a mobile XP2500+ will be the next choice. Though does anyone have any
experience with the XP2600-M yet?

JW

Old May 29th 04, 12:13 PM
OZoNE

"Dublevay" wrote in message

"Dublevay" wrote in message

[...]

Use CPU-Z...I ferget web addy...H-Oda.org i think.
Anyways Are you sure your nnot looking at the L1 Cache?
Also A 2400+ Barton Mobile might have a little more headroom to O/C over the
2600-M
They can all be found at www.newegg.com
I doubt your cous is hosed...My board never saw a 3200+ when I set 11x200...
It could be that even though you flashed backwards the part of the Bios that
ID's the cpu doesnt get over written.
OZoNE

On the brink of madness... I.C. Koets General 18 January 31st 05 11:49 PM
Updrade PC Guy Smith General 22 August 15th 04 01:57 AM
Athlon XP on old board is 'unknown CPU type' is this gonna be a problem? Simon Overclocking AMD Processors 2 January 29th 04 11:44 PM
Athlon XP on old board is 'unknown CPU type' is this gonna be a problem? Simon Overclocking AMD Processors 2 January 20th 04 09:05 AM
"Unknown CPU Type" error when booting TT Overclocking AMD Processors 4 October 22nd 03 05:57 PM