Power up password

Old September 4th 06, 08:22 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
KMS - Brett Anderson

Default Power up password

I have an old Compaq Desk Pro.

It has a power on password.

I know the password, but would like to eliminate it. I can't work out how
to get to the point where I can reset it. I've tried holding down both the
F8 and the DEL keys on start up but can't get in to anything that would
allow me to eliminate the password.

What is the procedure to remove/change the power up password?

Thanks

Brett Anderson

Old September 4th 06, 03:54 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

If you are talking about the BIOS/CMOS password, either remove the motherboard
battery for an hour or so (if it is not soldered permanently), or find a jumper
on the motherboard to reset the password... Ben Myers

Old September 4th 06, 05:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Patty

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 10:54:06 -0400, Ben Myers wrote:

If you are talking about the BIOS/CMOS password, either remove the motherboard
battery for an hour or so (if it is not soldered permanently), or find a jumper
on the motherboard to reset the password... Ben Myers

That will also change all the BIOS settings to the default. Since he knows
the password, F10 will more than likely get him into the BIOS where he can
change or remove the password.

Patty
Old September 4th 06, 10:00 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

Resetting the BIOS settings to the defaults is a side-effect of clearing the
BIOS CMOS, but the defaults are rarely problematic any more. Way back when in
the infancy of BIOS setups, in 386/486 days before autodetection of drive
geometry, resetting the BIOS CMOS settings was sometimes traumatic... Ben Myers