Windows XP on Compaq Presario 1260 notebook

Old March 25th 07, 05:47 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
[email protected]

Default Windows XP on Compaq Presario 1260 notebook

I'm having some problems trying to install Windows XP on an old Compaq
Presario 1260 notebook (which I know is possible from what I've read
on various webpages).

It usually gets as far as the "Setup Is Starting Windows" graphics
part after the files have been copied, but just freezes there.

I've upgraded the BIOS (Presario 1200 Specific Models System ROM
Update), installed the Battery Controller/KBC Firmware Update and
tried the possible solutions mentioned on these Microsoft pages
http://tinyurl.com/yqjcg & http://tinyurl.com/22h5g but still the same
thing happens.

Any help on this issue would be much appreciated.

Old March 25th 07, 01:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
HH

I really do not think the 1260 is XP capable. Max memory on that model is
160MB, which is totally insufficient for XP. You "might" be able to run
Windows 2K somewhat acceptably, but even if you could install it, XP would
barely crawl on that notebook.

HH

ups.com...

Old March 25th 07, 03:30 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

Agreed. I kinda sorta bailed out a client who managed to somehow install XP on
a Toshiba notebook with only 128MB. I added as much memory as the computer
would support, so it now has 256MB. Whoopee! I would never ever use an older
slower notebook with 256MB and XP. I think I would rather watch a bucket fill
with maple sap or watch the grass grow. Even the P4 XP systems sold a few
years ago with only 128MB (when memory was expensive) totally suck and it is
unconscionable that name brand manufacturers sold systems like that.

I guess I have a strong opinion on the subject... Ben Myers

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 08:53:39 -0400, "HH" wrote:

I really do not think the 1260 is XP capable. Max memory on that model is
160MB, which is totally insufficient for XP. You "might" be able to run
Windows 2K somewhat acceptably, but even if you could install it, XP would
barely crawl on that notebook.

HH

oups.com...

Old March 25th 07, 03:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
HH

As do I. I can't believe vendors are selling Vista machines with 512MB of
RAM. Maybe for Basic, but who wants that?

HH

wrote:

I really do not think the 1260 is XP capable. Max memory on that model is
160MB, which is totally insufficient for XP. You "might" be able to run
Windows 2K somewhat acceptably, but even if you could install it, XP would
barely crawl on that notebook.

HH

roups.com...

Old March 26th 07, 01:21 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

Sticker price rules the day. Never mind what is under the hood. HPaq, Dell,
Gateway, Lenovo/IBM are killing off each other with their low prices... Ben

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 10:59:59 -0400, "HH" wrote:

As do I. I can't believe vendors are selling Vista machines with 512MB of
RAM. Maybe for Basic, but who wants that?

HH

SNIP
Old March 26th 07, 01:22 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

Who wants Vista Basic? Will Micro$oft has pretty much killed off all sales of
XP to consumers. If you want a basic low-end machine, Vista is one of the only
games in town. The other is Linux, of course, in all of its shades, gradations,
and distros... Ben Myers

Old March 26th 07, 03:06 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
HH

Which is why I'm keeping my Athlon 64 X2 box with XP until they pry my cold
clammy hands off it.

HH

Old March 29th 07, 02:32 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
[email protected]

I managed to get it to install in the end! ...although using a
stripped down version of XP made with the Nlite program. It actually
runs a bit faster than Windows 98SE and so far with no problems. I'm
going to see if it will install on my other Presario 1260 now as I got
two dirt cheap at a carboot sale.