Deskpro EN boots itself (seemingly random)

Old June 7th 06, 07:25 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Default Deskpro EN boots itself (seemingly random)

Working on one of these old boxes, setting it up for home use, came across
this weird problem. If I leave the power cord in, even with everything else
disconnected, the machine still manages to boot itself up more or less 15
minutes after shutdown. I'm guessing PSU or motherboard issue? Maybe a
faulty power switch? Any other ideas?

Also, can't get Windows 2000 Professional to power off, requires a press on
the power button. Help?

--
Basic IT support boffin, Kalle

Old June 7th 06, 07:30 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Whoops, looks like it's a Deskpro EP/SB Series, not EN. Sorry.

--
Basic IT support boffin, Kalle

Old June 7th 06, 10:52 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

"Kalle Kaitala" wrote in news:_luhg.828
:

Whoops, looks like it's a Deskpro EP/SB Series, not EN. Sorry.

You could give basic support a call :-)

Check the BIOS settings for wake-on-modem or wake-on-LAN settings
that might cause the reboot misbehaviour.

Re the shutdown problem: visit www.hp.com amd check for a more recent
BIOS image. Might be worth checking for driver updates whilst you're
there.

Old June 7th 06, 01:38 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

I doubt that (HPaq?) basic support would be any help for a computer this old.
Or they would demand payment to be no help at all.

Let me suggest a potential heating problem. Possibly the cooling fans are not
ventilating the system properly? ... Ben Myers

Old June 7th 06, 08:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Ben Myers ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net wrote in
:

I doubt that (HPaq?) basic support would be any help for a
computer this old. Or they would demand payment to be no help at
all.

I was referring to the OP's sig: "Basic IT support boffin, Kalle"

Let me suggest a potential heating problem. Possibly the
cooling fans are not ventilating the system properly? ... Ben
Myers

The problem is that of the system *restarting* itself sometime after
being shutdown.

Duhh.

Old June 8th 06, 08:47 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Wasn't a power supply problem, tested it with a second one (luckily had an
identical spare sitting on the shelf), still did it.

And either I'm not really smart enough for it or the romPAQs I found don't
work, 'cause even though the bootup disk is recognized, it still throws a
"non-system disk" error. I tried to match the info as good as I could (686T2
family, currently installed date 07/24/98).

Thankfully the problem pretty much solved itself, since I now can't
reproduce the error anymore, and the machine will act as a printer server,
so an automatic reboot in case of shutdown is welcome, not a nuisance.

--
Small man trying to survive in a big scary world, full of dusty old
computers

Old June 8th 06, 08:33 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

If it's not the power supply, then the motherboard has developed a problem.

As far as ROMPAQs are concerned, the diskette containing the ROMPAQ needs to be
bootable (format a: /s under Win 95/98/ME, or FREEDOS). Apparently the ROMPAQ
you have does not make the floppy diskette bootable... Ben Myers